Chinese-Forums

What is the function of 一 in this sentence: 把吃过喝过的碗筷杯碟往洗碗盆一放,管他洗碗盆已经积了满满的一大堆

anonymoose

What does the first 一 in the sentence below signifty?

把吃过喝过的碗筷杯碟往洗碗盆放,管他洗碗盆已经积了满满的一大堆

I understand the sentence as a whole, but it's difficult to explain the precise function of the 一.

According to my dictionaries, 一 coming before a verb can have any of these functions:

1) used before a verb or an adjective, indicating the suddenness or thoroughness of an action or a change the situation, eg. 听到这个消息,他不由一愣

2) once; as soon as, eg. 一登龙门,身价百倍

3) sequence, second action immediately following first action, eg. 一进门就瞧见了他

4) continuation of an action to a certain level, eg: 我在上海一住就住上三十年

5) signifies an attempt, eg. 这本书值得一读

However, in the sentence I quoted, the use of 一 does not seem to correspond with any of those function. (I guess, at a stretch, perhaps it could belong to function 1 above if the 放 were interpreted as a sudden action, but I'm not convinced). I guess there are more nuances to 一 than covered in the dictionary.

Chinese-Chinese dictionary FTW:

【副】表示猛然发出某种动作或突然出现某种情况:右手~挥 | 眼前~黑

That's funtion 1 as stated in my original post. I don't think it fully accounts for the use of 一 in the sentence I quoted.

I think of it as "plonk dirty dishes down in the sink and not care that there's a big pile of them already there". The "plonk" action is something that happens quickly and without an afterthought for those dishes or the dishes already there.

I think of it as "plonk dirty dishes down in the sink and not care that there's a big pile of them already there". The "plonk" action is something that happens quickly and without an afterthought for those dishes or the dishes already there.

I agree with your interpretation, but then it doesn't really correspond with the function of 一 as described by 表示猛然发出某种动作或突然出现某种情况.

I think 1) is right. Only that the examples given are not typical of this use of 一.

This 一 tends to come in one clause, which is often followed by another clause ( indicating the consequence of the first clause, and the like):

他抬头一看,乌云密布,大雨要来了。

把吃过喝过的碗筷杯碟往洗碗盆一放

You need to take into account the '把' in this instance. '把’ and '一’ together form the structure:

把 (object) 一 (verb), which is simply an alternative to the "(verb) + (object)" structure.

Examples:

一回到家,他书包扔,又出去了。

打工又苦又累,干脆护照丢去当难民,住进四星级宾馆享受英国政府的福利。

最近,我養了五年的及腰長髮輕輕剪,剪到心口位置。

Edited by Guoke

You need to take into account the '把' in this instance. '把’ and '一’ together form the structure:

把 (object) 一 (verb), which is simply an alternative to the "(verb) + (object)" structure.

If this is the case here, then that's very interesting. I've not heard of this structure before. Does anyone have any 'hard' evidence (that is, mention of this specific structure in a book, for example)?

I'm also tending to agree with Imron here, though I still find the dictionary explanation doesn't fully cover the range of nuances of 一.