Chinese-Forums

can anyone help me with a piece of everyday Chinese?

Kenny同志

In Chinese, 意思is a very hard word. In different context, the intended meaning differs and is very difficult to interpret.

Is there anyone kind enough to translate into English this sentence for me

他没说,我也不好意思问。

thanks!

( my native tongue is Chinese, but I find it very difficult for me to find its English equivalent)

Edited by kenny2006woo

不好意思 is really one word. There is no "好意思".

Oh yes there is. From my dictionary:

好意思: have the nerve/effrontery/face/cheek/gall: 当着老人的面,我怎么好意思拒绝呢? How could I turn down the request in the presence of my elders?; 他还好意思问他能得多少工钱! Did he have the nerve to ask how much we should pay him!

不好意思 has basically the opposite meaning: be/feel ashamed/embarrassed/self-conscious

他没说,我也不好意思问。

He didn't say, and I didn't feel easy about asking him.

He didn't say, and I didn't feel I could ask him.

He didn't say, and I felt uneasy about asking him.

He didn't say, and I felt embarrassed to ask him.

Also: 你怎么好意思这样跟他说话. Or something similar is quite common. But in terms of usage 不好意思 has become an apology as well so in that usage 好意思 doesn't really correlate. There is the meaning behind it but in terms of usage 不好意思 kind of stands alone as "Sorry". But when used as the meaning of embarrassed or ashamed they go hand in hand.

好意思: have the nerve/effrontery/face/cheek/gall: 当着老人的面,我怎么好意思拒绝呢?

I stand corrected somewhat. But do note that "好意思" in your examples are all used preceded by 怎么.

怎么好意思 is a kind of fixed expression. 好意思 can't be used freely on a standalone basis.

But do note that "好意思" in your examples are all used preceded by 怎么.

怎么好意思 is a kind of fixed expression. 好意思 can't be used freely on a standalone basis.

I only quoted two examples, and only in one is 好意思 preceeded by 怎么.

Yeah, 好意思 seems only to be used in rhetorical questions (or statements showing doubt or mockery).

"Have the nerve" seems to be a good translation, as it's similarly used in a rhetorical, negative way. I can't think of an example offhand, where "have the nerve" is used positively. You wouldn't say "I have the nerve to apply for this job", just as you wouldn't say "我好意思申请这份工作“. :wink:

The only time I could think of would be after some asked you the rhetorical question and in defiance you may say 我就是那么好意思.... or something to that effect. But still technically wouldn't be used outside of the rhetorical context as a whole.

More examples courtesy of Google:

一点科学素养都没有,也好意思侈谈“证伪”?

尽管朋友客气,说你可以放两台电脑,一台抄股专用呀,但你说好意思吗?

我也同意上面一位朋友的意见,你真好意思出来说。