Chinese-Forums

Need advice about "gei ta"

gztiger

I have questions about using "gei ta" in a sentence that's could be after the subject, object, and verb.

What's the rule of it? Is there a clear defined rule for using "gei ta"?

For example:

1) wo song gei ta ti ge li wu (I gave him a gift) the "gei ta" is after the verb

2) wo song yi ge li wu gei ta (I gave him a gift) the "gei ta" is after the object

3) wo gei tapao le yi bei cha (I make him a cup of tea) the "gei ta" is after the subject

So, when can I know when to use use the "gei ta" after a subject, verb, or object? I know how to say it in the right way, but I don't understand the logic behind of using "gei ta"

All replies are appreciated.

Thank You!

In structures like this, the "gei" is actually an auxillary verb, and the "song" is the main verb (at least that is how my first year teacher always explained it). Most phrases can be constructed in exactly the ways you show, but yeah, there are exceptions for certain verbs. I can't think of an example ATM, and it probably isn't worth it to try to memorize them; more of a 语感 type of thing I think.

ni hao!

''gei ta'' is like a phrase '' to him'' in english.

wo song yi ge li wu gei ta. = i give a present to him.

wo song gei ta yi ge li wu .= i give him a present.

sometimes,''gei'' can be a verb,or can be a complement. in the cases above it is a complement in these situations.and i can also give you an example which shows another situation.

eg: qing gei wo yi bei cha.= please give me a cup of tea.

if you still dont figure out how to use it or have some questions,you can contact me by msn: yanhong8@hotmail.com