Chinese-Forums

November 2009

Artem

Anybody reading anything particularly interesting that would recommend it to me for November?

Reading 《死魂灵》translated by 鲁迅, as a comparison to the original Russian book. However, I'd like to read something originally written in Chinese.

Thanks

Any particular hint as to what you might find interesting, an appropriate level, etc?

I recently (well, few weeks ago now I guess) finished我与父辈 by 阎连科. It's arranged in nicely-bitesized pieces, and I found it pretty easy going - powered through it in a few days of heavy reading. It's not exactly up-beat though - the descriptions of village poverty are pretty incredible, and the threads of guilt and regret that run through it don't raise any laughs either.

Currently on the go, although I've been stopping and starting them for months, are 血酬定律 by 吴思 - violence and its wages through China's history, and 王小波's 未来世界 - which is ok, but if you're going to start on 王小波, go for 我的精神家园 (essays) or 黄金时代 (which has already been a short story of the month) 。

Yeah, sorry, I should have thought of adding some more details.

The level makes no difference.

I would prefer to read something modern, maybe even recent (last two decades?). I'm open to other time frames though.

As far as topic, I'm open to pretty much everything, but I'd like to read something funny and lighthearted? I haven't really gotten into Chinese humor genre, and wouldn't mind making a leap.

I do prefer things I can read in bite sizes (I mainly read in short 15-20 minutes installments on commutes), but that's not a major problem.

I'm definitely going to take a look at your suggestions, they do look interesting, I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks a bunch!

I've just finished 沿着塞纳河到翡冷翠 by 黄永玉. 黄永玉 is one of China's leading painters. The book was written during a period of several months he spent painting in Paris and Florence and consists of series of sketches that are part travel diary, part reflections on the nature of art and part comparisons of Chinese and Western culture. It is illustrated with his paintings. I would recommend it.

It is quite coincidental that I have just finished it now that I am seeing your reference to《死魂灵》translated by 鲁迅, because in 沿着塞纳河到翡冷翠 it is stated that this is the all time best translation into Chinese of a foreign novel.

Since you are interested in 鲁迅 and Gogol, you have probably already read 鲁迅's 狂人日记? It is very similar to and clearly inspired by Gogol's Diary of a Madman, but nevertheless a different story and distinctively Chinese.

Since you are interested in 鲁迅 and Gogol, you have probably already read 鲁迅's 狂人日记?

I'd be joining in on that one.

Other possibility would be something by Eileen Chang, as I have these things handy. I find her stories to be really vivid and full of life.

Isn't 翡冷翠 one of the most beautiful translated place names? I was there a couple of days ago and when I texted my friends telling them I was there I used 翡冷翠 instead of 佛羅倫斯 simply because it was shorter. :D

Huang Yongyu's book is quite good.

• 2 weeks later...