Chinese-Forums

上海市 伦敦市

Kenny同志

请教一下各位这两个名称怎么翻译,国内很多人都把“上海市政府“翻译为“Shanghai Municipality" 我查了谷歌,但发现几乎有"Shanghai Municipality"的网页都是中国的网页,请问用英语是怎么说“上海市政府”的。

还有,“伦敦市政府”怎么说,

“上海市水利局”又怎么说?

在下先行谢过了!

I need your help with the translation of 上海市政府. Many Chinese translators have "Shanghai Municipality"as its translation, but the results Google returns tell me that such an address is almost only found on Chinese websites. So what do you call 上海市政府 in English? What do you call 伦敦市政府? and an institution 上海市水利局?

Many thanks!

Edited by kenny2006woo

I think it's ok to translate 上海市政府 as Shanghai municipal government.

It seems a bit more unsettled for 伦敦市政府, I often hear the following:

the municipal government for the City of London

City of London government

the (local) government of the City of London

You have to be careful with London - the City of London, the old financial/merchant's district, has its own set of historical governance institutions distinct from the rest of the metropolis, recently Greater London. For example, the Lord Mayor of London is not the same person as Boris Johnson, the flop-haired tosser who is Mayor of London.

As to how this relates to Shanghai, I suppose it implies having some kind of idea of the government institution you intend to describe.

Again I'd try to be specific in the given context (say, the mayor's office if that's who was involved), but there are a few general ways of referring to them that if you Google the exact phrase, seem to be used by reputable US media organisations, e.g. "New York municipal authorities". With the magic of Google, you can come up with a few likely translations then do a phrase search to see if it's actually used by native speakers/major media agencies etc.