Chinese-Forums

Im waiting for China to drop the bomb on MAF

ThePhatGentleman

After watching ong bak and some other well placed international Martial Arts films I am feeling a little bit of anticipation toward China.

I think that for a long time China has been on top when it came to authentic kung fu films. However, I think that a lot of martial arts fans have been growing dissapointed. It seems that very few landmark martial arts films have been as of late coming from China.

I want to see REAL stunts again. Just like when I was a child, I want to see my friends mouths jop to the floor from watching Chinese Martial Arts films. I just wonder where all the magic has gone? I mean the magic of wireless CGI kung fu experts.

Don't get me wrong. There are still some great martial arts films being released. I loved HERO but, its fight scenes seemed a bit moderate at times compared to wireless/cgi-less films. Is it still a great film? I think thats an understatement. However, what im getting at is what China is known to pioneer: That is great, real, and unmatched Kung Fu.

It seems that others are trying to step into the Martial Arts arena and take the beauty of real coereography to a good level. Ong Bak is a sign of great martial arts film produced from Thailand.

So, my goal is not to put down anyone. I am simply stating that I am in high anticipation. Why? Because, people are starting to wake up to a new generation of martial arts. They see that the big bucks are not in cgi but, in whats real. With the success of Ong Bak and other martials franchises slowly starting to go back to the old school wire/cgi-less martial arts way of film making. I know that China is probably preparing something that is gonna blow the world away.

Perhaps we are on the forefront of another martial arts explosion with new fresh minds, actors and directors. It seems to happen every decade.

What do you guys think?

I disagree. I do think that China can hasn't brought out the real deal for a while. However, as a huge HK martial arts fan I have seen some great films in the 90's. You have to check out Operation: Scorpio. The martial arts in this film are mind numbing. However, there are othe countless classics out there that came out after 18 year old jet li.