Chinese-Forums

优势互补

Kenny同志

Here is the origianl sentence

上海经合组织各成员国具有地域毗邻、优势互补的条件。

which I translate as

The member countries are close to one another and mutually complementary.

Are the exact meaning fully conveyed?

Is the English itself flawed?

Thanks for any light you shed on the questions.

I think it was not fully conveyed."mutually"did not meet the true meaning.I am a chinese,reading it with my feel.“优势互补”firstly expresses the different advantages of each other .

Secondly,it means every member countrie use its advantages which others don't have to help each other.

third,member countries work together to form a large positive unit.

My english is not very well,so,i have to say sorry to you because i can't give you exact phrase to explain “优势互补”.

I think your translation has got the basic meaning and so any differences would then be just stylistic or due to personal preferences. Even having taken into consideration what yuxin just said, I don't think it's easy or necessary to match one to one in the phrasing between Chinese & English, as the two languages may have different habits in expressing the same meaning.

Since no one has offered some alternatives yet, I'll try but as I said above, it's mainly for the sake of varieties:

a. The member countries are in close proximity to one another and complement the strengths of one another.

Or

b. The member countries are in close proximity to one another and complementary to one another in their strengths and weeknesses.