Chinese-Forums

NPCR vs Integrated Chinese

MarsBlackman

I'm currently using the Integrated Chinese series by Cheng & Tsui. Beginner and intermediate are very broad terms. Where does the NPCR series fall as far as difficulty? I'm having a hard time finding the contents in each of the NPCR books. Any help would be appreciated. I'm looking to supplement my Integrated Chinese books or use something when I complete them.

Also, have any of you had any luck with Making Connections, even without having a script?

Edited by MarsBlackman

Where does the NPCR series fall as far as difficulty?

If you don't have hard copies to flip through, you might be able to get a rough idea from seeing what new vocabulary words are introduced in each of the five volumes. You can do that at http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/flashcards.php

Also, have any of you had any luck with Making Connections, even without having a script?

I have to say that the audio is excellent. And I hate to admit it, but for me it was worth the money, even though the book is practically useless. The lack of a transcript really irritates me, but I just kept listening to it, looking up words and eventually I got most of it. Don't get too frustrated, there are a few sentences in there that even native speakers outside of Beijing can't make out. Just relax, pick out what you can and start piecing it together.