Chinese-Forums

What does 嘴搁在身上 mean?

HedgePig

I came across the following sentence

你干吗整天嘴搁在身上?

It was translated as : Why do you always find faults with me?

My question is what is the meaning of "嘴搁在身上" in this sentence? Is it just a way of saying to find fault?

Regards

HedgePig

I've heard that before in a TV show - would have assumed it to mean something along the lines of complain about someone. Found another example which has enough context to give some idea of the meaning . . .

现在很多家长都在重视孩子的成长和教育,每天把嘴搁在孩子身上,好不分寸的进行种种评价...

or

但由于中国树大招风,美国国会和媒体喜欢把嘴搁在中国身上。

From roddy's examples, it seems to mean "to complain about someone/ something." What threw me off with the first example by the OP is the lack of an explicit object, which makes it sound like the subject is wearing his mouth on his body (:D), if you've never heard the expression before.

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I think it does mean nitpicking but the "wearing the mouth on the body" is what had me surprised. I couldn't find any reference to this expression.

This example came from the book "Popular Chinese Expressions - Latest Edition" published by Sinolingua. It's used to explain the phrase "不是我说你" (pg 23)

The dialogue, with the given translation, goes like this.

A: 你干吗整天嘴搁在身上?

Why do you always find faults with me?

B: 不是我说你, 你这一身毛病没个人说行吗?

You have so many problems (defects). Am I the only person who tells you this?

The English translations generally seem a little awkward. The phrase "不是我说你" is itself translated as "busybody" which doesn't quite seem to make sense either. To me, it seems more like "I'm not the only one saying so" or "I'm only telling you what everyone is saying."