Chinese-Forums

猪牛羊 壮

Kenny同志

不是,我的意思是,比如,你看到一头野猪,很肥,有很多肉,你怎么说?

Imron, it is not like that. I mean, if you see a boar, a big boar( with a lot of flesh). Then how would you describle it?

Edited by kenny2006woo

"Stout" is another word to consider. Which word to use depends heavily on the context and on the sentence. If I were hunting and saw a boar that would give a lot of meat, for example, I would probably excitedly say "That's one big, fat one! " or even "That's magnificent!"

Ok, here are the whole paragraph and my translation

梁师农那两头猪长得是越来越壮了。我听说现在猪肉特别贵,要是他把那两头猪宰了卖,得来的银两足足可以建座大房子了,带院子的那种。梁师农那一根筋却说什么阿文阿武跟随他多年怎么可以卖了它们!一点都不争气,难怪这么大年纪还没娶到老婆!

The two pigs Liang Shinong keeps grow more and more fattened. I’ve heared that pork is very expensive these days and if he butchered the pigs and sold the pork, I bet he would earn enough money to afford the costs of building a large house, I mean, the sort with yard. But that fool, to my surprise, said that given the fact that the two pigs had been his companions for so many years, how could he have the heart to do so. No wonder he stays a bachelor even at such an age. He is a sorry man.

Is "fattened" a proper word here?

Edited by kenny2006woo