Chinese-Forums

Three tricky Sentences

MengJiaSheng

Here are two sentences I find quite hard to translate.Would be great if you could help me with them.

奖学金的发放将综合考虑新生高中平时成绩, 高考成绩, 获奖情况, 学生工作和社会公益事业参与情况等

Especially the last bold bit is quite unclear to me.

他们将一次获得4万元的新生奖学金。

Especially the 性makes no sense to me.

。。。用于支付暑期到国外大学学习的旅费,学费 及食宿费用。

What exactly does the 用 at the very end? Does it mean something like "expenses"?

Thanks a lot for your help!

参与 participate

情况 situation

等 etc.

i.e. the scholarships will take into account students' participation in the workforce and in public benefit activities.

一次性 - one off/once only.

费用 - expense. 用 isn't a word by itself here.

As I've mentioned in other threads, your biggest problem at the moment seems to be correctly breaking down a sentence. Back when I had a similar problem, what I would do is look at the part of the sentence I had trouble with and check in a dictionary for words made up of all combinations of characters within 3-4 characters of the problem part.

For example I'm guessing in the first sentence, 与 was causing you issues because you though of it as the standalone word 'and' when in actual fact it's part of the word 参与 'participate'. Once you realise that, understanding that part of the sentence is trivial.

Likewise with 性 and 一次性. Once you see 性 as part of the full word '一次性‘ one-off/once only, then it's trivial to understand its meaning.

Same again with 费用.

All of these words are very common and easy to find in a dictionary so it's just a matter of looking for all different combinations of words at the problem part of the sentence and you should be able to figure it out.

Thanks a lot for your help.

You are definitely right, that I have a problem with identifying the units of characters correctly. However something else also is the word order. I did not get that 参与 was actually referring back to most of the clause.

Thanks a lot again.

Meng JiaSheng