Chinese-Forums

old chinese coin translation

coincutter

i just bought an old Chinese coin directly from China via ebay and i hoping somebody could help me with a translation. it is supposed to be from the Song Dynasty (960 and 1279). I don't know if that's true or not but if anyone had any knowledge about it, i would be grateful to learn. Particularly what the words mean and/or if it is genuine.

I plan on cutting this coin into a pendant so I would also like to know if it has a 'right side up' or if it can hang from any point and still translate properly.

please see the photo. thanks!

ebay ad title read:

Song Dynasty lucky Bronze Coin"TaiPing WanSui"

also if you want an idea as to what it will look like when i am done with it, check out my etsy site. you'll see some amazing stuff - www.petslad.etsy.com

2806_thumb.attach

I am definitely not an expert on coins, but what this says is 太平萬歲 tàipíng wànsuì which sounds to me like the battle cry of the Taiping Rebellion: May Taiping last forever, or so. Doesn't look like Song dynasty to me. But I could be very wrong.

Edited by Daan
silly tone mistake corrected

Well, since everyone else put their disclaimer in: I’m not an expert either.

I do think this seller should be reported to Ebay though. A description which reads: Song Dynasty lucky Bronze Coin "TaiPing WanSui" raises immediate alarm bells since the two (end of Song dynasty and Taiping rebellion) were nearly 600 years apart.