Chinese-Forums

shopping

Adam

Hey from what i've read in these forums, goods are generally cheaper in China. Does this go for electronics as well? Im wanting to buy a digital camera (sony t1) can anyone tell me how much this retails in Beijing?

grateful to anyone who may be able to help or point me in the right direction. If others want to post questions about prices of different goods in this topic, go ahead..

:mrgreen:

Adam

Hey from what i've read in these forums, goods are generally cheaper in China. Does this go for electronics as well?

If you live in the United States, the Great Dumping Ground for the world's electronics makers, the simple answer is: no. A quick check of a popular price search engine shows that the T1 is selling for between 400-500 bucks from a myriad of sellers....Roddy quoted over 500. My I-River MP3 player and Panasonic digital camera are both higher here, although bargaining might bring them down closer in line with what I paid. With the exception of fake accessories like batteries, media cards, etc., PC's, portable jump/hard disk drives, and made-in-China TV's, prices are no better here...and often spectacularly more expensive. Peripherals like Canon printers and Epson scanners can be 50-75% more expensive in China...the best price I have been quoted so far for an Epson Photo RX-510 all-in-one machine is around 400 dollars...the equivalent machine is 250 dollars or less in the U.S.. With the surge in Chinese-branded and/or badge-engineered DVD players available in the U.S., even those are no great bargain in China.

The simple answer to your question is "No."

Japanese branded goods such as Sony are no cheaper in China. Sometimes more expensive.

Several years ago, when I was moving to China for the first time, I bought a Sony multi-channel radio in the UK. When I got home I noticed it was "Made in China". I was cursing myself until I got here and found that it was more expensive here.

They impose 'import' duties on foreign branded goods even if they are made here!

(Fake ones are another story!)