Chinese-Forums

where best to cross HK border to renew visa?

scottishlaura

Hi, I'm hoping someone who knows the Shenzhen/HK borders can give me some advice. We are going this weekend to Shenzhen and staying very near the Happy Valley theme park. Saturday afternoon I have to cross the border into HK in order to renew my visa. Won't be staying in HK as Chinese husband does not have a visa for HK this time so all I want to do is cross the border, turn around and immediately reenter China. Need this to be as simple as possible because I will be crossing with my 3 sons aged 6,3 and 5 months - they are a handful at the best of times so really hope there is a straightforward way to do this (ie does not involve taking metro to next stop then getting off and coming back).

Earlier this year we took the airport bus from SZ to a border where we exited China, entered HK (all in same building) then got onto buses from same company and travelled into HK. This seemed pretty straightforward so I wonder if I should just go there again and once I'm on HK side turn around rather than travel into HK/ Does anyone know if this is possible? If so what is the name of this crossing point?

We can take taxis etc so suggestions don't have to be the cheapest, just the easiest.

Thanks in advance.

Well, i know that there are 3 borders crossings. The oldest, luo hu, is at the shenzhen train station, downtown. This location connects directly with the HK metro line, in one building. I believe that if you wish to re-enter china at this place you must take the metro to the first station, and then turn back to gain access to the path to china. Walk into HK, turn around and walk out not possible.

The next crossing is at Futian, shenzhen. About in the middle of town. here even more headaches for you because as you exit china must take bus, 5 minutes, exit bus with all goods, get HK inspection, find different bus back to china, blah blah. don't go there.

the third crossing is at shenzhen bay, way out in nan shan, shekou. this is the newest crossing and, most convenient. one large building, highly controlled access, few people hanging around, few merchants, etc. simple. walk into lobby on china side, fill out forms, etc. get inspected out then immediately walk to HK inspections and pass into HK. i would then walk out of the building, 50 m to the buses, sit a moment, then immediately walk back into the same building, but this time using the path into china. here you will exit HK, walk 20 m, then pass china inspections. walk out to waiting car, shenzhen. probably the best for you. lots of car parking , taxis, buses to take you there and away.

There's also the Huanggang / Lok Ma Chau crossing. Like Luohu, this connects directly to the Shenzhen Metro and the HK MTR. As at Luohu, you'd have to travel the MTR one stop then head back, but the crowds are less and the setup's more compact, so it's much less stressful than Luohu.

You'll need some HKD for the MTR; you can change in the station, but rates aren't good.

I suspect this will be more hassle than it's worth, but I'm going to suggest it anyway - take the ferry from Shenzhen airport (the actual port is about 10 minutes away) over to Kowloon. Kids get an exciting boat trip, immigration at both sides is easy as there's only ever one boat load of passengers turning up at the same time, and you can present it as an day out rather than a chore.

Realistically I suspect the kids are a bit too young, and boarding and disembarking with all the kid-stuff they must need won't be that much fun. Maybe in a few more years.

Roddy, I will not be going ANYWHERE near a boat unless I have no other choice! The way I feel this week (I've had flu) I would either sit by and watch as my kids took a swim or throw them overboard myself! :mrgreen:

The Shenzhen Bay crossing sounds like where we crossed earlier this year and still the most tempting option. Yes it's further out than the Metro options but doesn't involve me travelling on a train/changing trains/buying tickets with HK$ without my husband. Thanks for all the tips, I will let you know if I learn anything amazing (like how to renew my visa WITHOUT leaving China, that really would be useful:wink:).

Need this to be as simple as possible because I will be crossing with my 3 sons aged 6,3 and 5 months - they are a handful at the best of times so really hope there is a straightforward way to do this...

I did this earlier this year starting not far from where you will be staying in Nanshan. Taxi to 深圳湾口岸 = shēnzhèn wān kǒuàn = Shenzhen Bay Seaport was quick and easy. Cost 25 RMB each way from the Intercontinental next to Windows on the World in 华侨城. The crossing point was modern and uncrowded (on a weekday afternoon.) No long lines.

I just walked across into Hong Kong and then circled back. Was on Hong Kong soil all of 5 minutes. I would think this might be just right if you have 3 young children in tow. From Shenzhen hotel to Hong Kong and back to hotel with new visa in under one hour, door to door.