Chinese-Forums

Enigmatic Tshirt - meaning?

schellack

Hey all

I bought this Tshirt (attached) in Hong Kong. I thought is was kinda random and kooky so I bought it. I was wearing it at HK airport on my way home and was going through customs, and a couple of the Customs guys saw my shirt and started laughing. One tried to explain it to me and said something about "loose balls" or something, but I didn't really get what he was saying. He said though that it was a joke of some kind.

I've also shown a guy from Shanghai at my work but he says it doesn' tmake sense and it's a strange name association of some kind.

Can anyone explain to me what it could mean? Note that the graphic is a pic of two fleas one on top of th other. And below that in English it says "Flea Squared Youth Club".

Thanks!

2901_thumb.attach

雙蚤 in Cantonese sounds the same as 雙失 ~ double loss ~ eg. loss of school place + job, loss of job+love, etc.

雙蚤青年會 in Cantonese sounds the same as 雙失青年會 ~ double loss youth club.

Cantonese is what we speak in Hong Kong.

The correct pronunciation of 蚤 is nothing like 失 but because it means flea many people pronounce it as if it is 蝨.

• Like 1

Skylee is right. I'm a cantonese, so I know what it means. It is a cantonese saying, so it doesn't make sense to a mandarin speaker.

雙蚤 (two fleas) has the same pronunciation of 雙失 (lossing 2 things at the same time). So people made a joke in the sound.

雙失 is commonly refer to a youth who drop out of school and can't find a job. Because in HK, there is a group of yourth in this situation. So wearing this t-shirt, it seems that you are one of them. The sentance is just a joke.

• Like 1