Chinese-Forums

Translating a dialogue from a TV show.

Flying Pigeon

Hi,

I've been translating a segment from a TV show (for fun?) and realized a couple of things. 1) I'm not a big fan of online translator engine thingys (e.g."Recently an old man named Swallow's Sister came to my dad.") and 2) I'd like some feedback, constructive criticism, and help. I've attached a Word file of my translation.

The segment is from episode 2 of 密战 (Secret War). The scene starts at about 15 minutes into the show and lasts about a minute. Here are the Cliffs Notes: Husband and wife are going through a divorce. Mom and teenage daughter in the car having a conversation. The girl is telling her mom that she (mom) needs to be nicer to dad.

The word 温柔 is said about 8 times. My understanding is that it can mean soft, tender, gentle. In my translation I was pretty liberal with the meaning a couple of times. Would like to know if I'm taking too much creative license with it.

The word 稀罕 is also mentioned a couple of times. I consulted a couple of sources: old-school dictionary, CC-CEDICT, my girlfriend, and an old man named Google Translate.

Came to the conclusion it can mean rare, to care about. Again, I was pretty liberal with the translation.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

You can check out the entire series here.

Peace,

Dean

密战第二集车里1.doc

Edited by Dean A. Swanson
Original title was too vague.