Chinese-Forums

嘴馋in English

Kenny同志

Thanks, Anonymoose. But The Free Dictionary online says the word “gluttonous” means

1. Given to or marked by gluttony.

2. Indulging in something, such as an activity, to excess; voracious.

It seems that one is regarded gluttonous or greedy when he eats to excess but in my opinion if Kenny 嘴馋, he doesn’t necessarily eat too much, instead he is simply too eager to eat whatever seem tasty.

The difference between the two words (嘴馋 and greedy (or gluttonous)) appears subtle.

:)

It seems that one is regarded gluttonous or greedy when he eats to excess but in my opinion if Kenny 嘴馋, he doesn’t necessarily eat too much, instead he is simply too eager to eat whatever seem tasty.

我觉得这两个意思差不多,看到什么好吃的就想吃,结果不就是吃得很多吗?反正,greedy就是很爱吃的意思,所以我觉得greedy都适用于这两种情况。

Both words mean "to feel the desire for", but "greedy" often implies "to an excessive degree" and is therefore more judgemental than 嘴馋. I think it'd be better not to equate the two, because in many contexts, 嘴馋 would be better translated just as "tempting", "inviting", "making one's mouth water", etc.

我这人嘴馋。

How to say this in English?

直接翻译就是I'm greedy,但是greedy带有贬义,所以一般地,我们很少这么说。可以说I'm a greedy-guts,这是非正式的口语(算是俚语吧),因为有诙谐的语气,所以更适合用来形容自己。当然还有别的说法。

还可以说 "I'm on a sea-food diet - when I see food, I eat it"

(这是个笑话,看得懂吗?)

Edited by anonymoose
改正错字

It should have been 这是非正式的口语

哦,打错了。

I've noticed "sea food" and "see food" sound the same, but I can't see why it is funny. any hint?

其实这个笑话不是很搞笑。意思就是,人先说“我有海鲜饮食习惯”,后来解释下去说“我看到菜就吃它”,当然要用英文说才有意义。

No major issue, your enthusiasm is admirable, but the frustration of non-Chinese readers is . . . I don't know, palpable or something.

And remind me, Mr 2006woo, is this the first time I have brought this trifling matter to your attention?