Chinese-Forums

Whiners: the American version

Quest

A lot of that is true, but the writer obviously does not understand basketball. Puerto Rico played a good game, but the guys we have are not our #1 options, and basketball in the NBA is more of an individual game anymore, while internationally it is a team game. When you put a bunch of stars together and don't give them time to gel, this is what happens. It's the nature of the game. And, if we had the absolute best players in the NBA on the team, and they didn't say they had weddings to go to or didn't come for security reasons, then we would no question beat every team by 30 or 40.

The article has a point. But it's not much of a news flash that Americans love to bitch about things. Complaining is almost a national sport. It is an American birthright to be able to complain (loudly) about everything. Especially old white fat men love to talk about how lazy pro players are today, nevermind that they couldn't make varsity back in high school.

As far as basketball, I'd also add that when other countries play the US it's the chance of a lifetime- David v. Goliath. For the Americans, it's another game against a team that isn't nearly as talented. If you've ever played competitive sports you know that one of the most difficult things is to get yourself mentally ready to play a team that you should crush easily, but can still beat you on a good day.

I guess I'm guilty of what the article says well.

We're Americans. We beat ourselves or they cheat. Nobody from our country says, "We're number two!" Winning is our birthright.

I always tell people that we could win the World Cup if we ever choose to care about it.