Chinese-Forums

Difference in 对 and 对于

xianhua

Ok, so I understand that 对 and 对于 in this context mean something akin to 'regarding'.

However, I'm struggling to understand the (subtle?) differences between the two and which one should be used when.

My book gives a few examples (some are shown below) where, in some cases, the 对 can be replaced with 对于 (it asks me to figure out which). I therefore assume that whilst 对 isn't incorrect in the sentences below, 对于 can be used in some cases. If this is the case, which circumstances would dictate a preference for 对于 over 对?

1. 很多中国人对外国人很好奇

2. 不管孩子长到多大,父母对孩子仍然不放心

3. 越来越多的国家在发展经济的同时对保护环境也开始重视起来

4. 运动对我真是太难了

5. 维生素对人体的作用巨大

Thanks for any help.

对于 can be replaced with 对 everywhere, while the opposite is not always true. 对于 and 对 are both prepositions, but 对 can also be a verb, adverb, adjective or measure word. There's more to it than this, though.

If in China, you might want to get this little book which clearly explains such and other differences (关于&对于 included) between words with plenty of examples and exercises. I've had it for quite some time now and it has been extremely helpful on numerous occasions, the most recent being while trying to figure out the difference between 表示, 表达, 表现, 表明 and 表白.

It is pretty complicated for 对 and 对于,you should consult an Chinese native speaker or an Chinese teacher for the answer. In my opinion,

对 such as like 'to' and 'toward'

对于 also like 'to' and implicitly contains the meaning of 'compare' , in some cases, it shows more like 'for'.

You should go through more examples for these two words. In addition, 对 means 'right'.

My 現代漢語虛詞手冊 says that:

對 can always substitute 對於, while 對於 can't be used in the following sentences where 對 is used:

1. when 對 is used to introduce the object or target of an action

他對我笑了笑,還對我招了招手。

我對他們大聲喊叫,可他們誰也沒有聽見。

2. when 對 is used to indicate the treatment between people:

他們每個人對我都很友好。

小李爲人比較小氣,很多人對他都有這樣的看法。

3. 對 can be used before or after auxiliary word or adverb, while 對於 can only be used before auxiliary word or adverb.

我們會對這件事做出安排的; 我們 對 / 對於 這件事會做安排的。

大家都對這個決定有意見,大家 對 / 對於 這個決定都有意見。

Point three seems an exercise in vagueness, but if you read the example sentences provided it'll quickly become clear, I think. Of course, these are only rough guidelines, but I hope this helps.

From what I remember, 对 can replace 对于in any situation. But the opposite isn't true. 对于 from what I know is like regarding this situation.

对于什么什么情况

对什么什么情况

对于你这种行为,我不想再多说了。(I don't want to say anything more about your behavior)

对你这种行为,我不想再多说了。

But 对 takes on another meaning, kind of like towards me or treat

我的中文老师对我很好 (My Chinese teacher treats me very good)

In this situation 对于can't be used

Thanks for the responses.

I think I'm safe to stick with 对 when writing then, and to understand 对于 is enough for my requirements.

you should consult an Chinese native speaker

Well, I did ask the wife first... As has been written on here before, native speakers just 'know' when something sounds right, but only those with specific skills can explain why something is done in a particular way. For this very reason, I now have an English grammar book by the side of my bed in an attempt to address my own ignorance.