Chinese-Forums

Appropriate textbooks/courses? - NPCR??

drmel

Hi guys,

I want to get back into studying Mandarin after a few years off but I am not sure what level I should consider myself and therefore what textbooks or courses would be appropriate.

At my best (in mid 2004) I reached HSK level 7. I was studying in Beijing and using the second of the "Bridge" textbooks published by BLCU.

I'm now back in Australia and haven't really used my Chinese since 2005. Any ideas about what textbooks might be appropriate? There is a local evening college that has Mandarin classes, but the highest textbook level they have is the New Practical Chinese Reader 3. I have never used the series before; would book 3 be a good level to start back at given the long absence or am I likely to be bored within ten minutes?

Thanks in advance for your advice. :mrgreen:

NPCR 3 is somewhere between the Elementary and Intermediate level. If you reached HSK level 7 then this is probably going to be more of a easy refresher for you. As always, you could take a look at the textbook yourself at the college bookstore and see if its appropriate for you.

At my best (in mid 2004) I reached HSK level 7.
There is a local evening college that has Mandarin classes, but the highest textbook level they have is the New Practical Chinese Reader 3.

Level 7 is pretty good, so unless you've lost all of the Mandarin you knew, NPCR will be way too low.

Can you drop into the book store and look through the different course books available?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • New Members

I lived in China last year and have looked at a variety of books by Beijing Language and Culture University and Press, I've found that NPCR is definitely one of the best series' available for studying Mandarin, although I've heard that Book 5 doesn't focus as much on spoken Chinese.

• 1 month later...

What should be our level if we are studying NPCR 5? I am in the beginning chapters of NPCR 5 and have completed all other NPCR levels up to 5. I wonder what is the level considered to be. I guess it is something upper-inter or beginning of advanced, but is it really so in reality? How were your skills when u finished book 5?