Chinese-Forums

What percent do you believe in God?

webmagnets

I want to answer using words similar to Teresa Teng's lyrics (the Moon represents my heart):

你相信上帝有多深? Literally: How deeply do you believe in God?

Wait for others to give better suggestions.

Just replace 多深 with (大概)多少百分比, IMHO.

A possible answer: 我相信上帝百分之十。 (10%) Sounds weird, not just grammatically. Please wait for others to check.

My answer, if you ask me: 0%

Webmagnets, yes, that's what I meant. 大概 (approximately) is optional, as you can't measure this precisely and is common in this type of phrases (how long is it going to take/cost, etc.). I understand your meaning is "how you rate your belief in God compared to disbelief", as there are people who only partially believe in God or believe in extreme situations, when they get older, etc.

As Adrianlondon said, strictly speaking and from the church's point of view, you either believe or don't believe (only Yes/No answer) but we know very well, some people choose to believe in some occasions or they say, there is "something", even if they believe in science. The belief can be to do with with people believing in something supernatural, even if they can't explain.

你相信上帝有多深? (how deep...) is more natural to me, before you start asking about the percentage.

I should say in Russia, which used to be a very agnostic and a materialistic society, the church is increasing its influence, filling the vacuum of Communist, Komsomol, Pioneer and other ideological institutions. My mother turned to God when she has grown older, which made me unhappy, she is very educated and used to be very materialistic and scientific. I believe in science, nature, humans, not God. [STATEMENT DELETED]

Edited by atitarev
changed my mind, deleted the section, which offends religious people

How does 比 play in the sentence?

比 means ratio (as a noun), 百分比 - percentage.

多少百分比 - what percentage (literally: how much percentage)? 比 is part of the noun 百分比 (percentage) - literally: hundred+part+ratio

百分之十 - 10%. literally: hundred+part+of+10. 之 is from classical Chinese, has a meaning similar to 的. So it means 10 of 100 parts. As you know the use of 之 and 的 is reverse of the English "of" (word order). Compare to possessive 's.

Percentage and percent are expressed differently in Chinese, I mean questions and answers.

It's not unlike the English:

what percentage? - 10 percent.

多少百分比? - 百分之十。

It's the same thing, almost. Religious people don't require any proof, they can believe in God blindly but when they question science, they have to use arguments like "science has no proof of absence, that's why God exists". Science is based on many theories, right and wrong, learning our world bit by bit. Religion has provided the answers without doing any major work, simply relying on people's gullibility.

Sorry, not too interested to go deeper. I had too many discussions with my friends and relatives. :)

The reason I asked is because I do believe in God, but not blindly. I have proof. That is why I don't say that someone who does not believe in God has a problem with their logic, they just don't have all the information.

p.s. - This is the last I will say on the matter in this thread.

Webmagnets and everyone else, sorry if I offended your feelings. I expressed my opinion, which should have been milder, especially here but I had my reasons. I won't edit my post now. If moderators decide it's unacceptable, please let me know or delete.

Again, sorry for the words but not for my opinion. I honestly didn't want to hurt anyone.

EDIT:

I changed my mind and deleted the statement about the logic.

Edited by atitarev

"What percent do you believe in God?" Does anyone else find this sentence construction a little bizarre? I Googled it and came across only one other usage. If the original English is this awkward, I can only imagine how strange the Chinese one might sound.

Oh, I'm sure you being a native speaker has nothing to do with it. It just sounds bizarre to me. But then again I'm not Christian. Perhaps this a common question amongst you guys, I don't know. Maybe something along the lines of "On a scale of 1-10, 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest, how strong is your belief in God?" would be clearer.

Yes, the Chinese audience may find it a bit odd too (without an explanation that this is a teaching method), that's why I suggested to use 你相信上帝有多深?, unless it's thoroughly explained.

in_lab suggested 幾分/几分. I like it. It also reminds me that song of Teresa Teng, only it was used in the answer:

你问我爱你有多深

我爱你有几分

I understand the 2nd sentence but I don't know how I would phrase this in English.

I think webmagnets you still didn't answer our question what you meant by that.

Do you mean:

to what extent do you believe in God

how many people over there believe in God

or something else?

Maybe then the confusion some have expressed will go away...

EDIT: on second thought, disregard what I said above. I guess I'm with the binary crowd and was subconsciously looking for a different way of reading this...

Edited by chrix