Chinese-Forums

I need help and advice

Shi Rui'en

Okay, I've got a couple of questions. I'm in China and brought a credit card, but not my debit. I wanted to take out $300 or so American dollars. Is there a way I can have a Bank of China post a "ghost charge" on my account and then give me the 2500 RMB or so back in cash??

Any advice on that would be great.

Then, I was originally supposed to be in China for five months as a part of this english teaching program. Everything that could have went wrong did and it is a long story and I'll post later (and about all the beautiful sites I have seen). Anyways, I want to fly home on the 27th of Aug. I'm wait listed for a flight. I only have a one-entry visa into China. My visa runs out the 30th of Aug. United wants to put me on a flight home for the 17th of Sept. My classes don't start until the 22nd, but that is cutting it too short for me, and I don't have those type of funds (to live in Beijing that long or to pay United the $1400 they are trying to get me to buy a ticket...more than my original two way ticket).

If I go to the airport on the 27th, I'll have already passed through customs and will technically be on international ground won't I? As in I can't get back into China. So if I don't get on the flight on the 27th, what would happen to me? My visa runs out for good on the 30th of August. Some people are telling me that I would become a ''ward of United" and they would have to send me home because I already bought a ticket. If there is anyone who knows anything, please write a reply. I'm starting to get stressed over all of this.

Ryan

I'm not too clear on the credit card stuff, but you should be able to get cash out either from an ATM or as a cash advance at a bank - head for a big branch of China. I've been told the one near Fuxingmen is best, though no promises.

As for the flight, Ctrip.com is showing flights for under 6000Y to San Francisco in a week or so (didn't know where you wanted to go, just chose somewhere on the West Coast) so 1400US$ seems somewhat excessive.

You won't get through customs unless you check-in, and you won't check in without a valid ticket. If you do get to the point where your visa is running out, you can either go to the PSB to extend it, or take your chances at the border - there's a 500Y per day fine for overstaying, but it can be waived if you are apologetic - your call . . .

If I were you I'd visit a few travel agencies and see what prices they quote me for a flight home - it might work out more expensive (particularly if you can't refund your return ticket) but a lot less time and hassle.

Roddy