Chinese-Forums

Doing a Chinese Language and Literature BA

boubou

Hey there, So I've been thinking of the next step I want to take after intensive Chiense lessons, and I was thinking about doing a Bachelors in Chinese Language and Litterature offered at CQU (重庆大学)

Now, I'm at my first year in intensive lessons but since I'm applying for the local scholarship, I have to make up my mind soonish.

Has anyone ever done this? After 2 years of intensive lessons, jump into a College Chinese BA? My current teacher thinks it's possible, but that I better start studying extra from now, using more books and possibly a tutor too... Though she also thinks it's not gonna be an easy thing... Thoughts, anyone? (I assume it wont be easy, but is it at any rate 'possible'? )

I haven't, but I have a friend who spent 1 year in China and then entered a university there as an undergraduate student on a regular degree course. As for myself, I got involved in teaching the language after learning it for a year. So yes, this is also possible.

It is possible, but you will have to work very hard. How long have you been learning Chinese? How are you doing so far?

There was a user here named "cliveloughlin" who came to China to teach English and study Chinese as a beginner in 2006 and was able to get a 10 on the Advanced HSK by 2009. Usually a 6 on the intermediate HSK is required for admission as an international student in the BA degree, I believe. But realistically, 6 is not really good enough to do the work. I think a 9 on the Advanced HSK is probably the minimum you would need to study meaningfully in a degree program.

He said that he was going to start a BA in Chinese at Beijing Normal University (BNU). Not sure if he's still there.

You can also find some discussion on this topic in this old thread:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/881-undergrad-degree-in-china

Undergrad degree in China

Iv'e been ''officially'' studying Chinese since September though I previsously lived in China and learned a great deal of spoken Chinese. I also studied out of a book to learn to read and write... So spoken wise, I'd say 'm doing not too bad as I can keep conversations about various subjects (last big talk I had with a friend was Public VS Private universities in China and abroad... so I'm guessing my vocab isn't too bad.) I can also keep up with TV shows and the radio depending on what they're talking about.

Written wise... I'm not sure where I stand really. I can read and write simple things, I started reading childrens books (with a good dictionary at hand when needed) I can read a menu without being too confused about what might show up in my food and euhm... newpapers and magains are still over my level to even want to try.

I guess if I kick myself in the butt and give it a serisous push, it shouldn't be too bad... I'll be buying HSK books during the holidays to start practicing and knowing the vocab for that too.

If your Chinese is good enough to get the necessary HSK score to be admitted without specific HSK preparation, then I'd say you are able to do the BA. Getting a 6 or even 8 on HSK by just preparing for the HSK is not really sufficient enough for actually doing a BA program intended for natives.

Taking classes with natives isn't like intensive language classes for foreigners. The professor won't pause to explain something to you in different words because you might not know what he said exactly.

If you think newspapers are over your level, how do you plan on studying a literature BA intended for natives (since a Language and Literature BA would require a lot of reading, both in class and outside)?

How about writing in-class essays, will you be able to write at a speed fast enough while remember how to actually write characters (i.e. are you able to at least get a 9 on the essay portion of the advance HSK)?

These are the kinds of questions you should ask yourself.

It is certainly doable after two years (or even one really), as long as all of your skills are well balanced. However, every person's situation will very.

I started reading childrens books (with a good dictionary at hand when needed) I can read a menu

If learning Chinese literature is the goal of doing your BA, then go to my Short Story of the Month threads and see how you do with the short story selections in there first and decide if that's the way you want to go.

I say go for it. Even if your language skills aren't up to speed at the beginning, taking the classes will help improve them.

Before you begin the BA though, I would invest a reasonable amount of time learning to read handwriting. Really messy handwriting. Otherwise you'll understand nothing of what the teacher writes on the board.

Delay it if you can -- if you can just BE in China an extra year before starting you'll get that much more out of your classes. Of course, if being in China but not attending class you can't force yourself to make massive progress -- then forget it and just go straight into the BA.

There was a Russian dude at Shandong Univ. who studied only the 3 Integrated Chinese books back in Russian in 2 years before coming and then immediately started undergrad in Chinese. He didn't complain, and I think he did well. Anything is possible.