Chinese-Forums

3D Cinemas in Harbin

pancake

Hello everybody,

I am wondering if it is possible to watch James Cameron's latest movie 'Avatar' in 3D somewhere in Harbin? I did some brief poking around on the IMAX website, and as far as I can tell the only IMAX cinema in Harbin is of the dome-type. I guess this means that it is not possible to see it in 3D, but if anyone else is better informed then please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

According to Wikipedia, the following IMAX venues exist in China:

Beijing

Beijing, IMAX Theatre, UME Huaxing International Cineplex

Beijing, IMAX Theatre, China National Film Museum

Beijing, Shijingcheng Wanda Cinemas

Guangdong

Dongguan, IMAX Theatre, Wanda International Cinemas

Heilongjiang

Harbin, IMAX Theatre, Heilongjiang Science & Technology Museum

Hong Kong

Space Theatre, Hong Kong Space Museum, Kowloon

UA Cinemas, MegaBox, Enterprise Square Five, Kowloon Bay, Kowloon

UA Cinemas, iSQUARE, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon

Hubei

Wuhan, IMAX Theatre, Studio City Cinema

Shanghai

Shanghai, IMAX Theatre, Shanghai Science and Technology Museum

Shanghai, IMAX Dome Theatre, Shanghai Science and Technology Museum

Shanghai, IMAX Theatre, Peace Cinema

Chengdu

Chengdu Zhengtian Cineplex(成都正天影院)

Kunming

Kunming Wangfujing 3D IMAX Cineplex(王府井影院)

So, I guess watching Avatar in 3D in Harbin is out.

The Chinese Wikipedia article on IMAX has a list of Chinese IMAX Theaters that includes a few more locations than the list given above:

http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-cn/IMAX#.E5.85.A9.E5.B2.B8.E4.B8.89.E5.9C.B0.E7.9A.84IMAX.E5.BD.B1.E9.99.A2

上海和平影都 Shanghai Peace Cinema

北京华星影城 Beijing UME Cineplex

中国电影博物馆 China National Film Museum

武汉环艺影城 Wuhan Studio City China

东莞万达影城 Dongguan Wanda International Cinema

苏州科技文化中心 Suzhou Science and Cultural Arts Center

长春万达影城 Changchun Wanda International Cinema

长沙万达影城 Changsha Wanda International Cinema

北京万达影城石景山店 Beijing Wanda International Cinema, Shijingshan location

昆明百老汇影城 Kunming Broadway Cinema

天津中影国际影城 Tianjin International Sinofilm Center(?)

无锡大世界影城 Wuxi Big World Cineplex

From the Wikipedia table it looks like Dongguan's is the biggest: the screen has an area of 616 m²!

(via @popoever on Twitter)

You don't need an IMAX theatre to see it in 3D. We saw it last week in a regular theatre in 3D. [You may still want to see it in an IMAX threatre, but that's a separate issue from 3D.]

That's a very good point. I doubt the theatre I saw it in a few weeks ago was an IMAX theatre. In fact, I'm pretty sure it wasn't one.

Thanks for clearing that up jbradfor! And, in retrospect, I suppose this was the point kevinxa was making as well.

I am glad to hear that I will not miss out on the 3D goodness from living in Harbin, especially since it's pretty much the only thing that makes me want to see the darn thing in the first place (the Pocahontas in Space theme does not seem that compelling by itself).

So for all the forumites in Harbin: it is possible to watch Avatar in 3D at Wanda International Cinemas (the place by the flood control monument at the end of 中央大街).

the Pocahontas in Space theme does not seem that compelling by itself

LOL, that was pretty much what I thought to. I even whispered "this seems like Pocahontas" to my wife.

In the movie's defense, however, while the movie does veer into the same "we are all one, living in harmony with nature" and "what is the color of the wind" schlock you would expect from Disney, it's not nearly as bad as Pocahontas was, it doesn't go on for too long until we get back to the cool special effects, and there is actually a bit of science behind it. So don't let that part scare you off.

I am glad to hear that I will not miss out on the 3D goodness from living in Harbin,

You don't need an IMAX cinema but you do need to watch it at a cinema that has upgraded its screens to support 3D, and not all cinemas will have done this (apparently it's quite expensive).

• 1 month later...