Chinese-Forums

Would appreciate translation of a handwritten sentence.

wsf372

I was recently going through some old letters from collage - about 20 years ago and I found this set of characters at the bottom of the letter. I would appreciate some help with translating it. I have attempted to look up the characters by using the handwriting input on http://usa.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php but have not had much luck with this.

2975_thumb.attach

The characters are: 落花不是無情物,化作春泥更護花

It's a line from a poem (but with one character different). Rough translation:

Falling petals are not uncaring, they turn to soil and help nourish the flower.

The original poem was written by a Qing official tired of the corruption around him, who left his post in Beijing to return to his hometown.

(I see someone else has just responded, but I'll post this anyway; the one character difference is that the first 花 hua should be 紅 hong.)

Search around a bit on the web and you'll see this comes from 己亥杂诗 "Miscellaneous Poems of the Jihai Year" by 龚自珍 Gong Zizhen. A common translation of this stanza, 落花不是無情物 化作春泥更護花, seems to be "But fallen petals are not heartless matter; transmuted into Spring soil they will again nurture flowers." Search Google and you'll learn more; it's a common phrase.

Which reminds me of the Tang poem (Lu You) 零落成泥碾作塵,只有香如故. Not really related, but both of them are about fallen flowers/petals. And then there is another line by Du Fu (Tang) - 潤物細無聲.