Chinese-Forums

Taiwanese PR for wife

xifbk

We are getting different stores and conflicting information so I thought I would ask here on the off chance someone here has had recent experience in this.

I am australian and my wifes parents are Taiwanese, my wife was born in australia and never registered in taiwan so she doesnt exist. Is it possible for my wife to get some sort of PR that would allow her free travel in and out of taiwan, and hence possibly myself as well?

We have been told that she just has to live there for 3 months by one person, and another person tells us she has to live there for 2 years.

Not sure what Visa I would go in on in the mean time, not keen on teaching english (:

Someone of Taiwanese descent can certainly become Taiwanese, but I don't know (or forgot) what exactly the regulations are. Forumosa is a good place to look.

I'm assuming though that your wife does have some other passport, like Australian. If she really 'doesn't exist' things might be more complicated.

And you might want to look into the visa situation for Australians going to Taiwan, I (Dutch) can go on a landing visa and stay for up to a month at the time, if you're not planning to live and work there, that's as good as free travel in and out.

up to three months <> three months. Well, sometimes people visit their family between jobs, or they are free lancers, or college professors or school teachers or even use up all their five-six weeks of vacation time which is normal in Europe.

By family I mean family on Taiwan, as in international marriages. Across the continent, this will not be common, but usually the Taiwanese spouse will see to it that spending time with the Taiwanese family will become a priority for the European spouse as well, even Dutch ones :mrgreen:

Ah wait, you don't mean that Europeans spend their 6-week holidays with their family, you mean 5-6 weeks of holiday is normal in Europe, and long visits to TW family is normal for TW spouses. In that case I suppose that's true.