Chinese-Forums

importing a sword

Antony Wood

Hello everybody!

Does anybody here know the current laws or have any experience with importing swords into mainland China (Shanghai)? I am having a sword made in Australia and would like to have it shipped to my home in shanghai, and worry about having it taken away at customs.. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Antony

It will probably never get through customs.

I know a teacher whose entire suitcase was withheld by customs because he had a belt adorned with empty bullet casings and a Japanese flag. Customs had no intentions of returning anything until a phone call was made.

What kind of sword is it? If it's something like a Taichi/Wushu sword and not sharpened, you probably won't have any trouble (I never had any on the multiple times I've taken mine through).

Edit: Just realised you were talking about shipping, and not carrying it through as checked in luggage from a flight. That may make a difference.

Hi there,

Thanks for the responses so far. The sword would be shipped from Austrailia, it is a sharpened functional Dadao. It looks like a wushu sword, but it is in fact sharp. I have also brought in dangerous looking swords checked in on the plane with no problem, its just the shipping that worries me..

Antony