Chinese-Forums

看看

mikeyjb4

I have a quick question, what does it mean when a verb is used twice in a row? Does it just add emphasis? If so what is the difference between using the verb twice and using 吧 at the end of sentence?

Also, I think I understand the use of 着 but I want to make sure. I think it is used after a verb to indicate the action is taking place, such as in 看着 = looking, while 看 = look. Is that about it? 着 is pretty much just adding "ing"?

Thanks in advance! :clap

Does it just add emphasis? If so what is the difference between using the verb twice and using 吧 at the end of sentence?
Not for emphasis. The reduplication of a verb is usually to make it sound more informal, less rigid. The 吧 at the end of a sentence is a different thing, unrelated to the reduplication.

Yes, your understanding of 着is basically correct, but this is not all. You'll get a more detailed image as you progress.

FYI "Chinese grammar without tears" cites 3 uses of verbs reduplication:

1) implies that the action is repeated only a few times, or is short in duration. A sentence with a reduplicated verb often has a softer tone [??] than if the verb is not reduplicated.

2) implies a habitual action, i.e. one that happens often, but each iteration is of limited duration.

3) implies an attempt or trial.

In the assimil books, 看看 is usually translated as "have a look" if I remember well.

Ususally it refers to an aciton that will be done very quickly or infromally. For example in window shopping you just look around in a very casual manner without concentrating on any specific thing, so you "看看". But when you are watching a movie like Avatar that lasts two or three hours long, you have to "看" it.