Chinese-Forums

网瘾战争 War of Internet Addiction

taijidan

There is quite a nice blog here http://digicha.com/

A recent article links to an awesome short movie - below is an intro from the youtube translater:

Chinese version here: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/A9zD9fPazpk/

English subtitled version here:

This video contains a lot of Chinese history and pop culture references along with a lot of internet meme only known to Chinese since this video is targeted at the Chinese audience only.

Enjoy!

Edited by roddy

Bravo! Brilliant! I laughed every a few minutes. You probably don’t believe it, and I wouldn’t believe before I did – my eyes were filled with tears.

The movie was made by a group of young talents. They successfully applied many classic techniques of film-making and story-telling, yet in a very creative and original way. It’s mostly comedy, with a few moments of touching love story, and ends with an exceptionally honest and extremely powerful statement and collective awakening.

It has a lot of gamer’s jargons. I only understand about 80% of their language. I never played their games. But now I see their lives and I understand them. I was like them.

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for sharing this video and article on these forums!

I am not chinese, I am from Denmark, but have studied a year in china.

I have played on Chinese wow servers myself and read everything related with 摩兽世界 (moshoushijie, wow)The9, Netease and know pretty much a lot about the whole thing.

Watching this movie, really made me shed a tear, for our fellow players in china, our brothers who are being wronged. Normally I try to avoid discussing chinese politics, but this affected me aswell, as I had a loss too.

I fear this might only be the top of the iceberg, and the future of my beloved china seems volatile.

Yes,it's so wonderful a film.I like it.But to enjoy it,you need to understand not only chinese slang but also the game WOW.

Quite some jokes are inaccessible without WOW knowledge, however it's very well made and the overall message can be seen by anyone. I've never played WOW myself, but a few other computer games when I was young and found it worth watching. In fact I watched it twice :o

here's a list of cultural references:

http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddp3vkc6_1gxdvjdhm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...