Chinese-Forums

New Forums Server

roddy

I'm still seeing some weird stuff, but last time I checked no members were ending up on the old server - and those that did see there earlier I've emailed to apologize. And I suppose if someone wasn't logged in to that server I wouldn't know they were there. Either way, we've got about 350 people on here, and 20 or so over there, so I'd say that we're on the way.

Yes, but you can now edit them for eternity.

It no longer seems to show the time of the last edit? Is there any way to get that back? I think showing the edit times often helps understand the flow. In fact, if I had my choice, I'd like the time of every edit shown, not just the last.

@adrianlondon, just ask for your money back :)

The edit time should still be showing, but there's always been about a five minute period where edits aren't recorded. But if people are making so many edits that you're having trouble keeping track and it's disrupting the discussion (ie if you've replied, and someone's changed or removed what you've replied to) send in a post report to let us know - we'd probably want to discourage that.

Adrian, try restarting yourself.

Only a couple of people on the old server this morning, and no responses to my ''if you see this, email me'' message over there.

There would have been a period where new reply notifications weren't getting sent out - not sure how long that was, but they should be working fine now. Let me know if you think they aren't.

Have been looking around for posts with links to the IP address and removing those - have got all the ones in this topic, if you've made any you're welcome to edit them yourself and save me the effort.

Monday and Tuesday were actually very strong days in terms of visitor numbers - I think Monday might have been a record - but logged in members and new posts are on the low side. Could be an effect of the holiday period also, but if it doesn't pick up I'll maybe do a mailshot to people who've visited in the last month or two, but not signed in since the move.

Just had about 45 minutes of downtime due to (and I assume this makes sense) a DDoS attack on another site on the same host. All back now :mrgreen:

I'm going to see if I can find the password for the forums Twitter account. Then if the site goes down, I can issue live updates via Twitter. Some of you might even read them.

TPG Internet users in Australia may be having issues as (I say) they haven't updated one of their DNS servers and (they say) they have and if they haven't they're doing it. So sorry about that, and I'm doing what I can.

Everything else seems to have been working fine for . . .oooh, 24 hours now :-?

• 2 months later...

1) If anyone is still using the IP address to access the site (either directly in the address bar or via a hosts file entry) can you please stop. I think I'm changing IP addresses.

2) Potentially more downtime coming, but hopefully not too long. Will endeavor to keep you informed and minimize disruption.

Current plan is for the forums to go down in some form - might just not be there at all, might be read-only - Beijing morning tomorrow and come back up again later in the day.

I'll maybe be looking for a few people to help me poke around a test install and find any problems later tonight / tomorrow. If you fancy doing that, drop me a line via the contact form. May get back to you, may just remain silently grateful.

Edit: Or, heh, maybe not that quickly . . .

Edited by roddy

Things are still moving, just doing as much tweaking as I can before letting you all loose. Hopefully some point this afternoon . . . but for now, LUNCH.

Edit: Lunch stretched, and I now need a nap.

Edited by roddy