Chinese-Forums

How early to arrive

HLK

Generally how early do people arrive before classes start? 1, 2, 3 or more weeks? Is it 1st come 1st served in terms of getting student accomodation? Can you reserve a place?

I am not keen on getting accomodation with shared bathrooms. Are accomodation with private bathrooms difficult to get, especially at more famous unis e.g BLCU?

How early should one arrive to get a accom with private bathroom?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This advice is probably coming a little late for you, but I'd recommend not staying at the dorms at BLCU. The cost of a dorm room (shared) with a private bathroom is more than you would pay for an apartment off-campus but still close by.

As for apartments without private bathrooms, most people I have talked to stayed there for a couple days and then left to live in an apartment.

I just got a 3BR apartment with two other BLCU students that is really nice and huge. The guy who was in a dorm room with a private bathroom is now paying less than half of what he was paying for the dorm and he's much happier with the apartment.

Apartments also have curfews. I think you have to be back by midnight or you're locked out (keys must be left at the front desk). For some this might not be a big deal, but if you plan on staying out late on the weekends, you'll have to crash with somebody else.

If you want to find an apartment, there are a bunch of real estate agents at the Leisure Garden complex on the other side of Wudoukao.

Dorms have a curfew, but when I was staying at Beiyu that was never a real problem, we just knocked at the door and the shifu would come out, open the door for us, told us grumpily that we shouldn't go out so late, and that was it. This was san lou. In yi lou and er lou, there wasn't even a real curfew, only the elevator went out of business at 0.00.

I'm not sure about the other dorms though.