Chinese-Forums

Need help with a chinese name

Naterlay_Gd

Hellooo

i was wondering if someone can help me find a chinese name

i already have one but its a translation from a book so i would like a *real one* haah

i plan on keeping my last name as 何 but i need help finding a first name

i kind of would like a special or unique one

can anyone help me think of one?

or should i be more specific haha!

okay im not sure how to edit the note yet? ( only just joined )

i either would like a name tht sounds nice? if u get what i mean.

or like a unique name that has a significant meaning.

like something important. something to do with happiness or hope or something like that

haha im really sorry im really not too sure myself

Boy or girl, you don't even say.

Anyway, why not look here:

http://renlifang.msra.cn/name/122/index.html

It's a collection of real names that go with 何 -- click on a pair of characters and you'll get appropriate choices for the final character.

And if you're in China, you'll find people who'll come up with an appropriate name for an appropriate fee, though they usually do this for newborns, of course.

I have come across a very unique given name for a woman: "一" (meaning "one"). The name is rare even for a man. :mrgreen:

Mainland people seem to like the idea of having a given name with the same pronunciation as the surname, e.g. 郎朗 (Lang Lang). It is cute and unique. For 何, you could consider 何和 (for male, meaning harmony, peace) or 何荷 (for female, menaing lotus). The only problem with such a name is that when romanised it will be "He He" and it could be quite funny if it is pronounced in an English way. :mrgreen:

Another way of naming is to combine the surname of the parents and / or place of birth. Famous writer Long Yingtai's name "Yingtai" is a combination of her mother's surname and hey place of birth. Actor Jacky Chan's real Chines name 'Kong Sang" means that he was born in Hong Kong.

You should give us more information. If you are not too sure what you want it is difficult for others to help you.

"Those don't look like real names. Who the hell would be named 何也?"

Like I said, "click on a pair of characters and you'll get appropriate choices for the final character." Then, once you've got a three-character name, click on it and you'll get examples of that name in use culled from the web. These names seem to be identified from a websearch by computer, so there are occasional misidentifications.

Well i was wondering if they have a name that has something to do with unique or special ( like the meaning) ?

or my second option would be a name that has a meaning of like memory or something in the past

i dont know if ive explained that well

but haha i guess my life in the past was quite important

so i wondering if that could have anything to do with it

please tell me if my ideas are too weird ! haha

Well i was wondering if they have a name that has something to do with unique or special ( like the meaning) ?

You could consider 何唯一 (He Weiyi) or 何無雙 (He Wushuang). 唯一 means "the only one". 無雙 means "there is not another one". IMO, 無雙 is a superb name. But it is perhaps not a name for everyone (Imagine what you would think of a mediocre girl called Precious).

name that has a meaning of like memory or something in the past

i dont know if ive explained that well

but haha i guess my life in the past was quite important

There is a very famous ancient long poem called the Ode of Mulan (yes the story of Disney film Mulan). At the start of the poem, Mulan sighs when she is weaving. Her family ask her what she is thinking, what she has remembered. The poem goes, "問女何所思 問女何所憶". Perhaps you could consider taking part of the poem as your name, i.e. 何所思 (He Suosi) or 何所憶 (He Suoyi).

wow all of you guys are so helpful!

thankyou all so much

i think ive decided to go with two ideas from the posts

the place i concider home in taiwan is called 陽明山.

and i want to keep the idea of the memory part

so i think ive decided on 何陽憶

what do you guys think?

let me know before i decide to keep it haha !

Mainland people seem to like the idea of having a given name with the same pronunciation as the surname, e.g. 郎朗 (Lang Lang).

This seems to be very true:

Check out speed skater 杨扬 [Yang Yang] from China.

You could consider 何唯一 (He Weiyi) or 何無雙 (He Wushuang). 唯一 means "the only one".

It's rare to see someone called 一: The AIDS researcher David Ho is named what in Chinese? His name is 何大一, "He Da Yi".

Who the hell would be named 何也?

The child of someone illiterate or has very little education, perhaps?

There is a very famous ancient long poem called the Ode of Mulan (yes the story of Disney film Mulan). At the start of the poem, Mulan sighs when she is weaving. Her family ask her what she is thinking, what she has remembered. The poem goes, "問女何所思 問女何所憶". Perhaps you could consider taking part of the poem as your name, i.e. 何所思 (He Suosi) or 何所憶 (He Suoyi).
Skylee, if you ever get enough of what you do now, you can always switch to becoming a professional name-picker. This one is especially beautiful and full of meaning.