Chinese-Forums

代扣代缴

Kenny同志

Many units(单位) and companies in China help their empolyees pay their taxes from their income, which in Chinese we call 代扣代缴. I was wondering whether there is a similar practice in the west and how do you say this (e.g. 公司为员工代缴个人所得税).

When I was working in Ireland a few years back my taxes were automatically deducted from my salary, so I never had to go through any of the hassle. In Bulgaria it's the same. This method of paying taxes is called PAYE - pay as you earn.

Thank you very much. is " the employees' income tax is paid from their salary by the company" an acceptable translation of "公司为员工代缴个人所得税" ? Again, another similar expression is recalled that I encountered about two years ago, it was 物业公司为业主代缴水电费、电话费. I don't know how to put it into decent English.

Edited by kenny2006woo

代扣 = withhold on behalf of

代缴 = pay on behalf of, which probably is used to mean that the payor is paying out of its own pocket

公司为员工代缴个人所得税 could be translated as "the company pays the employee's income tax by withholding the amount from each employee's salary"

物业公司为业主代缴水电费、电话费 could be translated as "the management company pays water, electricity and telephone costs on behalf of the owners", which implies that the management company is paying out of its own funds.

Gato, thanks, but there might be something misunderstood there.

代缴 = pay on behalf of, which probably is used to mean that the payor is paying out of its own pocket

代缴 means the payor (物业公司) is not the end payor (业主) whom the paid money comes from.

You are very appreciated. In my opinion, the translation is slightly different from the original. The very sentence was in the company's promotional pamphlet(I didn't do the translation), so it would be better, I think, to manipulate " the company" as the subject so as to highlight its willingness.

You can say "the management company can collect water, electricity and telephone payments from property owners and deliver the payments on their behalf."

You need the "collect" to make clear that the money is coming from the property owners.

Since there appears to be a distinction in Chinese between 付 and 缴 (the difference being the source of the money), you need to make sure that the distinction is reflected in the English translation.

[edit: revised translation]