Chinese-Forums

Translation Help needed

prostreetgmc

They look a little bit like cursive Chinese characters at a glance, but it doesn't look like any writing style I've seen and some of the strokes simply look odd. None of them actually looks like it is a proper character.

I don't think that it's Chinese :conf

What makes me think it's just squiggles is the way all the characters are so similar and the way they're arranged. The four enclosed on two or three sides are all in the middle of the four edges, the 'open' ones on the corners and center. What are the chances of that happening in actual text. The 3x3 configuration also seems unlikely, and while there are differences between the characters it looks to me more like variations by whoever's copied them or made them up. They might be meant to look Chinese, but I'll be surprised if they are*.

*I am, however, frequently surprised.

For the first picture, I'd say it's not Chinese, but rather a cursive script of some language but have no clue what language it's supposed to be. It might be based on Chinese or not, like Jurchen or Khitan or Tangut, etc....?!

I got it at an auction, i'm not 100% sure its Chinese, some folks that have seen it in person, say it looks like Chinese. Here are some other photos of the side. These look like older China figures.

Attached Thumbnails

Click image for larger version Name: fi74.cgi.jpg Views: 9 Size: 39.8 KB ID: 3028 Click image for larger version Name: fi76.cgi.jpg Views: 8 Size: 32.4 KB ID: 3029

prostreetgmc,

If only you can magnify the picture on the right 3x-5x larger, then we can clearly see the characters on the scroll. It is "zhuan shu" but I have no clue whether it's "da zhuan" or "xiao zhuan" until closer inspection, with magnification, of course.