Chinese-Forums

Translation Help-->哺育=哺育出?

MengJiaSheng

Hey everyone,

I encountered this sentence recently, but did not quite get how to translate it:

剑桥大学在自然科学的成就尤其突出,哺育出牛顿、达尔文这样开创科学新纪元的科学大师.

I am not really getting what the 出 does here. I understand that it means that Cambridge University fostered many scientists, but what does the 出 as a complement do here? Does it mean something like the university has "produced" many important scientists?

Thanks for the help.

different tenses ,

in this sentence,

哺育出 is the Past Perfect Tense

哺育 is Simple Present Tense

I think you will find this has little to do with tenses, as there are none in Mandarin. Imagine for a second this sentence:

荷蘭萊頓大學校長表示,該大學希望提高漢學系的經費,以便將來能夠哺育出更多中國通來。

There are probably other mistakes in that sentence (and I would be happy to receive any corrections), but surely you will agree the 出 cannot be said to make this a past perfect tense.

哺育出

出 is supplementary here. Literally it means "out".

Compare

我找笔 I looked for my pen.

我找到笔 I found my pen.

The usage of 到 is similar to 出 in 哺育出

“我找笔”,但是找没找到呢?不知道。(People don't know whether I found my pen or not)“我找到笔”,“到”补充”找“,意思是 I found my pen.

Thanks for the explanation. What I meant to show in my example is that adding 出 is not a past perfect tense marker, since you do not have to get rid of it when you discuss the future rather than the past . And this is in turn not surprising, since Chinese has no tenses :)

to Dann:

I think, though there is no tense in Chinese, but we always still have some way to express the tense, for example:

1. we can add some adv after the verb, to express the past、now and the future. just like"吃过"、“看了”……

2. otherwise, in Chinese, the Adverbials of Time and the context, i think they're very important for the tense expression. Most of the time ,in chinese, we can know the tense only by seeing the Adverbials of Time or the context.

I think, in chinese, the tense in chinese is different from english. For example, the past tenses and the the Past Perfect Tense,

"我们吃饭了"、“我们吃了饭”

“我们吃了饭” is the the perfect tenses absolutely, but we can't make sure that "我们吃饭了" is the past or the perfect. So we have to read the context, then we can judge the tense.

No, "tense" is a grammatical concept, so Daan's right. Of course Chinese can express any meaning related to different times, as it were, so it's not a surprise you will get different constructions in Chinese that are equivalent to differently tensed sentences in English. But this still doesn't mean Chinese has tense.

It is futile to try to examine Chinese in the system of English grammar because Chinese has its independent grammar system which is incompatible with English. It is a sad fact that Chinese scholars usually give undue emphasis on English and have long igored the Chinese grammar system. In my humble opinion, it would be far more beneficial to spend more time on studying Chinese linguistics than comparative linguistics.

Yes I'd agree, comparative works, where two unrelated languages are compared side by side are often not that useful.

But comparing related languages, or comparing a number of languages (aka "typology") can be quite useful, as it gives you an idea of what kind of variety there is in human language. But typology doesn't work with just two languages.