Chinese-Forums

Married to a Chinese national...

Blutch

Hello everyone,

I know this question has probably been answered a lot before, but even though I have searched all over this forum (and a few others) for answers, I am still pretty confused with the whole thing. I'd like to ask the question myself and have as clear an answer as possible. Heh.

I am a Canadian, and my Chinese fiancée and I have gotten married over the New Year. My current visa (an L one) is coming to an end soon, and I'd heard that it was possible for spouses of Chinese nationals to get a special "family" visa (or is it a "resident permit"? I seem to see both appear in the information I've got).

I also knew of a friend a while ago who also was married to a Chinese woman and had obtained something of the sort. Unfortunately, I've lost contact with him.

So, my question is, how do I go about obtaining this visa, or permit? Also, can I do it from inside mainland China (we're in Beijing), or do I have to leave the country and do it anew?

Thanks a lot for your answers. I've been pretty confused with all that visa talk lately.

Yes, you should be able to secure a year-long L visa.

To get the L year long one it's usually necessary to get it from the PSB of where your wife's Hukou is issued. If she's a Beijinger, then that'd be Beijing. If she's from somewhere else the BJ PSB might do an L visa, but it might not be a year-long one. I don't know about applying for it outside of China.

The procedure should be simple. All you need is your existing visa, passport, her Hukou, [added: and your marriage certificate] and your current housing registration form. Then visit the PSB and fill in the application form (the same form that other visas are issued under, tick 'L' and 'visiting relative' in the options section). I'd advise calling the PSB ahead to get heads-up on any additional forms they might need (requirements famously vary). They might require a proof of income statement or finances statement from overseas, or they might not.

This is an L visa, it does not carry permission to work (studying on it is OK), and is not convertible into a residence permit like a Z visa is.

This is different from the 'permanent residence' permit (5 year long usually, and permission to work) - that has more conditions generally focused on your contribution to China (a professor working long term in China, an investor, a long term senior plant manager, etc) and is much harder to obtain.

Send me a message if you'd like any more info.

Alex

Edited by AxelManbow

Yes ,you can get 1 year Multi- Entries family L Visa

The basic document you should prepare is as follows:

1. Passport with valid L visa or Residence permit( Z or X)

2. Local Registration Form Of Temporary Residence

3. 2 Passprot Photographs (2 inches size)

4. your wife's ID card

5. your wife's Residence booklet (Hu Kou booklet)

6. Local Chinese marriage certificate

different place have different requirements of documnets,

I suggest you call the Beijing PSB exit&entry administrative bureau for advice.

regards

Avon