Chinese-Forums

Need help Translating!!

Vorcha

I´m planning to take a tattoo in chinese, I want it to mean brother and sisters! (Because I have a brother and 2 sisters :)) I´m so confused because there are so many different ways to write it!! And i dont want to find out after I take that it that means something else :D I would really apreciate the help!

Older brother: 哥哥

Younger brother: 弟弟

Older sister: 姐姐

Younger sister: 妹妹

For a tattoo, you probably don't want to duplicate each one.

That's not too many, is it?

[兄 is another word for older brother, 姊姊 is another word for older sister, but they're not as common, so don't worry.]

LATER EDIT: Oooh, ABCinChina used 兄 instead of 哥. Let the google wars begin! :clap

the OP said they only had one brother. Now we don't know about the sisters, but depending on their age, you could come up with two character combinations:

兄妹

姊弟

etc.

(in Japanese, these would be quite common, but still read the same as 兄弟)

Thanks for help, I Really aprecciate it. To be more precise I have a twin brother, older sister and younger sister. I have desided to take this writing 兄弟姊妹 I hope its right. What's the difference between these two 兄妹姊弟 and 兄弟姐妹 compared the one I'm planning to take?

The standard phrase is 兄弟姐妹, and it means 'brothers and sisters', as in: Ni you xiongdi jiemei ma? Do you have any brothers or sisters? Literally it means 'Older brother(s) younger brother(s) older sister(s) younger sister(s)'. As you don't have a younger brother, it might not be exactly reflecting your situation, but it's still not a bad phrase, I don't know a better one.

no, you only said you had a twin brother, not if he was younger or older. Well if you're male too, 兄弟姊妹 would describe your family, as you'd be the 弟, and every character would represent one sibling.