Chinese-Forums

QQ Doctor for Antivirus

Hero Doug

I couldn't find the "Chinese computing" section so I tossed it in here.

I recently noticed that my wife installed QQ doctor on our computer and was wondering what others had to say about the program?

I noticed that it's download and installing a lot of updates to my system (which my previous AV software didn't do). That's a good first step.

Has anyone seen how it performs in virus detection? Is it actually designed for virus protection, or only specific QQ related viruses? I really know very little about the program but would like to know more.

Thanks.

I noticed that it's download and installing a lot of updates to my system (which my previous AV software didn't do).

Many of these "updates to my system" are really disguised tracking cookies and links to popup ads that its proprietary scans will later ignore as "safe and desired by the user."

You will acquire lots of junk along with the desired chat software. Nothing in life is free. It's just the price you pay for using it.

Several previous threads give lots of discussion of QQ in this forum.

This isn't QQ I'm wondering about, it's QQ Doctor. It's a completely different program and I'm wondering if anyone know much about it.

In the end, I'll probably go back to Kaspersky and have QQ run in a "safe box"; but I'd still like to know about QQ Doctor.

I'm not sure how authoritative this is, but it might be of some help in deciding what to do.

qqdoctor.dll

We suggest you to remove QQDoctor.dll from your computer as soon as possible.

QQDoctor.dll is TrojanDropper:Win32/Helpeq.A.

Read more: http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal...

Kill the file QQDoctor.dll and remove QQDoctor.dll from Windows startup.

The source of that is http://www.greatis.com/appdata/d/q/qqdoctor.dll.htm

The referenced Microsoft article is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=TrojanDropper%3aWin32%2fHelpeq.A

TrojanDropper:Win32/Helpeq.A is a trojan that drops and installs a malicious Browser Helper Object (BHO), which redirects users into different search Web site results and advertisements

Each time QQ launches, it performs a quick scan. I think that quick scan is a scaled-down version of the larger package you get with QQ Doctor.

It's anecdotal and I am definitely not a computer guru, but last year when I used QQ a lot, even without the full QQ Doctor package, I was chronically finding and removing Trojans. When I finally pulled QQ up by the roots, the problem stopped. I personally would not touch either one with a ten foot pole.

QQ Doctor is a program for protecting your QQ password from stealing.
Thanks Hezhuomin. QQ Doctor seems like it's a bit more than this though. A few times I've done something (can't remember what it was) and was prompted to take action, like with typical Antivirus.

And abcdefg, that Microsoft site you linked to says that the QQDoctor.dll file gets dropped into the system folder. So if the legitimate QQ Doctor dll file isn't dropped there then it's a virus masking itself as QQ Doctor. I'm not at my home PC right now so I'll have to check later.