Chinese-Forums

Linux system help!

shibo77

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I like using fcitx http://www.fcitx.org for Chinese input. It has support for both wubi and pinyin. A great page containing a breakdown of the most common/popular chinese input methods under linux is http://dev.gentoo.org/~liquidx/chinese/chinese-v1.html. Although the page is for gentoo and contains some gentoo specific stuff, most of it can be applied to any given linux distro.

The distributions of western origin often lack complete chinese support. You could try something like opendesktop, which is based on redhat, but put together by chinese users for chinese users. Also there is Magic Linux, Hiweed Linux, and Redflag Linux. These often have a choice of input methods (like the afore-mentioned scim and fcitx) preinstalled. These distributions also have better documentation and support for chinese speakers.

• 4 weeks later...

Like the title says, JayDub, how are you using PinYin?

My SCIM (actually the KDE version, 'skim') config box has CangJie5, Simplex, EZ, Array30, JyutPing, ZhuYin and Dayi3.

I've tried them all and can't type even a simple 'wo' ('I'). I'd like to type simple characters without caring about tone, just getting a list of possibilities. Do you know how? Or, what are you using? The documentation on the input methods is really bad IMO.

BTW original poster, I recommend using 'skim', it's KDE's version of SCIM, and on my Gentoo system at least it's simpler to set up, plus it displays the input methods in English.