Chinese-Forums

TV drama - Pakistani and new immigrants in Hong Kong

skylee

Further to the documentary on this thread (which is still watchable via the link, a good programme), RTHK has made another programme, drama this time, about South Asians and Mainland immigrants.

The programme is less than 30 mins long and quite well made IMHO. It is in Pakistani and Cantonese with subtitles in traditional Chinese.

This programme, called "去日苦多", is one of the series called "Love Thy Family". You can find the sypnosis here (in Chinese).

And watch the programme here. The programme starts at about 2:59 mins. Hope you like it.

Edited by skylee

Thanks for the video.... I've met that Pakistani guy before. This is the first time I heard him speak Cantonese, previously he was talking in English. He claimed he had a native Cantonese accent, but I can tell he has a foreign accent instantly. Am I wrong?

I guess this is a continuing program on ethnic diversity in Hong Kong. I do recall some of his friends once upon a time kept complaining how they can't get promotions or jobs because of written Chinese. They keep petitioning the government to allow ethnic minorities to become police officers without written chinese, however, don't want to learn it.

I'm not racist, but it seems to me they have a me me mentality. If the government allowed them to become police officers without written chinese, then that's discriminating against chinese hong kongers who have to pass the written test that is apparently quite hard.

If the government allowed them to become police officers without written chinese, then that's discriminating against chinese hong kongers who have to pass the written test that is apparently quite hard.

I tend to agree. And how can they be police officers if they can't take statements in Chinese? I have a friend who is a mixed Spanish-Chinese and obviously not good at Spanish or Chinese, :mrgreen: but he was educated locally and can speak, read and write in English and Chinese. Chinese can be learnt.