Chinese-Forums

One time exit visa

eddychanter

My wife is Chinese and I am British and have a residence permit in my passport. My wife has just given birth to our daughter in Wuxi, Jiangsu and we decided to obtain a Chinese birth certificate from the hospital and then proceeded to follow the route of obtaining a British birth certificate and passport from the British Consulate, this we have done. We will be heading to the UK this summer for a vacation and the question i am asking is whether I need to get a one time exit visa/doc for my daughter and in doing so, do we need to renounce her Chinese Citizenship to obtain this visa. Also, once in the UK de we need to get her a visa to fly back with us to China. I have heard that I can use a 3 month travel visa and then apply for a residence permit for her passport. Another thing is that my wife, who was born in Meixian, is unsure as to which local authority she needs to visit, we live in Wuxi but, they could not help us, shanghai will not help us and so we believe that she may have tpo return to Meixian to fill out the paperwork. Does anyone have any past experience with this? Or can I take my daughter out of the country on her UK passport, without a visa?

Thanks BrandeX,

I thought this was the case, do you have any knowledge as to how long the procedure of renouncing her citizenship takes? I have heard anywhere between 6 months to a year depending on the local authority.

You don't need to renounce her citizenship because she automatically loses it on gaining foreign citizenship.

Be sure to keep all documents, especially the one time travel permit as you may need them applying for a future Chinese visa.

Also, some consulates have the practice of requiring young children in your daughters situation to travel to/from china (after the first exit) on a Chinese travel permit, not a foreign passport. Just letting you know.