Chinese-Forums

How to say: I went to a nightclub

bumclouds

Hey guys,

I have to invent a dialogue in Chinese class, and talk for 5 minutes about "travel experiences".

I want to talk in Chinese about my recent vacation to Japan. We spent a lot of time going to nightclubs over there, but I'm not sure how to say that in Chinese.

Online dictionary spits out 夜总会.. Is this correct? A chinese friend of mine says that this term is very "old" and isn't quite fitting. Another Taiwanese friend of mine suggested that I should just use "nightclub" in English, since this is a western concept.

-安德鲁

EDIT: another suggestion i got was 夜店.

夜店 might be a better option over 夜总会. 俱乐部 is an organisation for people of the same interest or a building or room where such people meet on a regular basis. Usually people have to have a membership to get in a 俱乐部. It has nothing to do with a nightclub.

So, I went to a nightclub is better translated as 我去过夜店.

Edited by kenny2006woo

I often see posters pasted around here (on lamp posts, walls, etc) advertising for staff for 夜总会. Exactly what the 夜总会 constitutes I couldn't say, but at least the word seems to still be in use.

俱乐部 is an organisation for people of the same interest or a building or room where such people meet on a regular basis.

In other words..... club :)

But you're right, it doesn't necessarily describe every type of disco club, so it's not universal.

Seriously, though, the term discothèque is more common in other languages than it is in English nowadays, and I tend to use it too often.
I do this too, when among native English speakers a lot this gradually fades, but it always comes back. Some words just sound so international that the proper English word never feels quite right :-) 'Metro' is another example I think.