Chinese-Forums

Chinese fairy tales

maritmarit

Hi, I'm a student illustration working on a project about Chinese fairy tales. I've collected some fairy tales and now I want to know who are the heroes from the Chinese fairy tales. I think in every country we have our fairy tale heroes (like Snow white, Rapunzel, Cinderella...)

So please tell me who is your Chinese fairy tale hero and why!

Thank you :)

One evening while I was teaching a night class in China, there was a huge commotion outside the classroom. My students and I went out to discover hundreds of other students watching the sky--Chang'e-1, the lunar vessel, was being launched and appeared as a bright star flying upwards through the sky! We were crazed with excitement.

That moment was so memorable, I'd have to say my most beloved Chinese "fairytale" character would be Chang'e (嫦娥), the moon goddess the spacecraft was named after. I also like that the story features a bunny keeping her company on the moon, which is adorable. ^^

• 5 weeks later...

西游记(Pilgrimage to the West or A Westward Journey to Buddha)

It is a triditional fare tale and a very famous work in China.(as famous as hong lou meng,san guo yan yi,shui hu zhuan)

hero:

孙悟空 Monkey King

唐僧 Monk Tang

猪八戒

沙僧(sorry,i don't know how to translate)

玉皇大帝 the Jade Emperor

王母娘娘 Heavenly Queen Mother

• 2 months later...

西游记 (Journey to the West) is one of the 4 great works of Chinese literature (四大名著), but I wouldn't necessarily describe the novel as a fairy-tale. I find parallels in this thread to the 'Ghost, Goblins, Gods And Demons' thread in as much as fairy-tales, myths and legends embody the culture from which they originate; hence a direct comparison may not be possible, without an understanding of the cultural norms and values.

Another point, we should probably agree upon a common definition of what we would classify as a 'fairy-tale', a 'myth' and a 'legend'. I've heard of a few Chinese myths and legends (Cowherd and the Weaving Girl), but precious little, if any fairy-tales.

It would be nice - if slightly ambitious - to try and read a few Chinese fairy-tales, myths and legends in Chinese; although I had no choice but to read 西游记 in English, because it will be many, many years before I can even attempt to read 四大名著 in Chinese - let alone finish them in my lifetime! That said, one of my homework assignments a couple of weeks ago, was to write a composition providing a general synopsis of the 4 main characters in 西游记, and describe their personalities. A lot of obscure words that have religious / spiritual, as well as supernatural, connotations will stick in my head, but I have real difficulty remembering banal words such as 熟悉 (to be familiar).

Cheers!

Edited by putonghua73