Chinese-Forums

Kunming Living Costs and Life in General

g1izmo

You are going about it the right way. Making friends in a new land requires the investment of some time and there are seldom any shortcuts or guarantees. But it pays off in the long run.

You are going about it the right way. Making friends in a new land requires the investment of some time and there are seldom any shortcuts or guarantees. But it pays off in the long run

Ain't that the truth. You're (yet again) on the money by focusing on 'investing' time. I believe that friendships, like relationships, require a number of components to become successful; including the investment of time to develop and strengthen the friendship / relationship. It is a yardstick that indicates whether one is serious or not, to put in the initial groundwork to allow a friendship / relationship to grow.

I've been emailing / MSNing my Chinese activity partner [Kunming] since end of February / start of March, and I met her twice last week. We are now going to meet twice a week to play badminton and tennis near Dianchi lake. Since buying my new phone, we also text each other backwards and forwards.

Not all work out, as two potential language exchanges stopped replying / gone silent. I'm not going to push the issue because for whatever reason they are unable or unwilling to spend the time to develop a friendship (one of them we've been emailing since start of March but she started to go 'quiet' around middle of March - then distinctly 'quieter' once I arrived in Kunming. No biggie.

I've met a new potential language exchange via GoKunming.com, and I had a brief chat to her on Friday via MSN (had to run for classes). Her work involves international sales so she is interested in learning English. I did laugh when I originally received her email, "no cheat, no sex, no profit - just friends okay?" because I thought what weird language exchange emails has she received prior to me!? Then I realised 'female' plus 'language exchange' equals LOTS of thinly veiled 'dating' emails. Happened to my ex-girlfriend; and has also happened to me when I was with said ex-girlfriend.

3 girls contacted me in London for language exchange. All seemed keen until I sent them a picture, and mentioned the girl on my right was my then girlfriend. No response.

Back to the point of this post. Me and my female (fellow) British friend have met a bunch of really cool Chinese guys, and have just spent most of the weekend with them.

Me and my female friend were in a bar by ourselves on Friday night (almost the only foreigners) when she pointed out a Chinese guy whom she found attractive. She mentioned that not only was he attractive but he had good teeth and a lovely smile. I advised her to make eye contact and smile when he glances over (he was playing pool with friends).

She kept doing this, and he kept glancing over, smiling shyly when playing a shot. My friend remarked that if anything was going to happen, she was going to make the first move.

Resuming the role of 'Hitch' (just call me CR .. A .... IIIII .. GGGG .. DA ...V... IIIIIIII ... DDDDDD), I hatched a plan for me to leave the bar first, for her to write her name and number on a tissue, pretend to drop it then pick it up next to him, then tap him on the shoulder and say [in Chinese], 'Excuse me, I think you dropped this' then hand it to him.

So after leaving the bar and waiting a couple of minutes, my friend comes bouncing up the stairs to hug me, and explain that she handed the tissue over with her name and number, smiled, he smiled, then as she walked off one of his friends said, "Wait! Come back! Come back! He'll definitely call you". His friends then said why not stay, but she mentioned that her friend was waiting upstairs, so his friends said he'll definitely call.

We went to another bar for a drink, then my friend got a call from this guy's friend, to say that he and a friend were coming over to meet us! 15 minutes later they arrived, and I accidentally got chatting to his friend in the toilets without us realising who we were. We all had a really good night and they invited us to play basketball the next day.

Cutting this short, my friend watched the guy she liked and his mates play basketball, was invited out to dinner with them all, I turned up later and met the other friends, had to drink yada yada yada (told in English "When in Rome, do as the Romans do!" which was quite amusing), then we all went to KTV and met another 2 additional friends.

They were all really nice, friendly, quite funny, re-taught me the dice game, and my friend really likes and fancies this Chinese guy. He likes her as well, and has invited her out to dinner tonight. She mentioned it's been a long, long while since she has met a guy who does all the little romantic things; not to mention meeting a guy whom she fancies (especially as she has had NO romance here in 6 / 7 months).

Now, I just need my female 'Hitch' ;)

Cheers!

P.s. Let us know how your 'friendships / language exchanges' develop, Vexed.

Edited by putonghua73
Wrong smiley

I've just come back from a fantastic evening with my activity partner, from our regular badminton sessions. Despite living on 东风东路 I take the bus every Tuesday and Thursday evening near Dianchi Lake to meet my activity partner and we play in a lovely sports centre, in a quiet, peaceful residential area.

She picked me up from the bus stop on her scooter (more convenient than her car), and after we played, she allowed me to ride her around for absolutely ages - so I've spent a portion of this evening driving a scooter with a lovely Chinese woman holding me tight (and occasionally uttering a girly shriek in my ear!) in a lovely area with lots of trees and plants (and no traffic) on a clear - if slightly chilly - evening.

It's been a very long while since I've felt so masculine (even if it was a scooter) because she prefers someone else to drive, and I almost felt like a character from 'Happy Days'.

Ah, bliss!

The second point was that I took a taxi to get back because the bus-stop mentioned that the buses stopped running after 22:00 (lies! I saw my bus whilst in the taxi). The taxi fare was 18.20 kuai - not even £2.00! It may cost 10x that of a bus (2 kuai) but £2.00 is less than my usual Starbucks in London!

Best of all, I turned down an offer to visit Kundu!

Cheers!

Oh kay, I'm throwing this out here for some invaluable feedback. Does anyone know or can suggest a few 'romantic' options - whether restaurants, coffee shops, or other alternatives - around 滇池路 / 正和小风 residential quarter in 西山区?

If the options could also be priced by $, $$, $$$ (a scale) that would be even better, so I know how much cash to bring.

I'm looking for semi-private places that have an atmosphere conducive to conversation, with the right sort of ambience i.e. not in appropriate music blasting out, or harsh lighting, uncomfortable seating, etc.

Doesn't have to be a restaurant either.

I have a week to research and 'suggest' a range of options. That's if I don't kill us both with my driving (her scooter - I cannot drive cars)!

Thanks people!

Oh kay, I'm throwing this out here for some invaluable feedback. Does anyone know or can suggest a few 'romantic' options - whether restaurants, coffee shops, or other alternatives - around 滇池路 / 正和小风 residential quarter in 西山区?

That’s a tall order because I don’t know Xi Shan Qu all that well, but I’ll give you a sort of “long-shot” suggestion which may or may not be what you are looking for.

Ask your lady friend if she might enjoy an afternoon or evening at the spa. I know of two in the Dianchi Lake area. I’ve been to one, in 2008, and only read about the other. The one I visited had a real indoor swimming pool as well as racquet courts (squash and badminton.) Lounging areas for quiet conversation with a family atmosphere where a lady would not feel out of place. Snacks and dining room, of course.

Massage services were offered, and could either be had in the large “resting area” for foot massage or in smaller rooms, some of which were set up for couples. Nothing indiscreet or inappropriate on the menu.

Take your passport because if the evening goes well, it’s possible to spend the night on premises and they sometimes require ID for that just like an ordinary hotel would.

Actually you might want to reconnoiter beforehand to make sure the arrangements look suitable and have not changed (or gone downhill) too much since 2008. It cost me well under 500 RMB for a 3 or 4 hour visit with a friend, but prices might have changed since then.

It's not far from Minority Village. (Minzu Cun = 民族村)

Dianchi Spring Spa

滇池春天温泉会馆

1290 Dianchi Lu, Kunming

滇池路1290号

Phone: (0871) 8066094

I don't know any places in that area but there are few nice places near Green Lake to take a lady. I went to a cool outdoor place just outside Green Lake which had nice lighting, good atmosphere and decent looking food (I only had some drinks there).

Thanks for the suggestions, people! I have some basis and ideas now to mull over, whilst I perform additional research.

It is a tall order because she is, or has been 宅的女士(homebody), and besides a few restaurants with friends doesn't know places to go to eat, drink, etc. I actually know more than her to a degree!

Perhaps there's a gap in the market for a Kunming type web directory of what to do, places to see, eat, drink, services, etc by 区。

Cheers!

Another "non-foreigner" option that could set you apart from "the pack" is to take her to a teahouse. Quite a few pleasant ones in every section of the city.

Perhaps there's a gap in the market for a Kunming type web directory of what to do, places to see, eat, drink, services, etc by 区。

Indeed there is.

Thursday evening didn't pan out too well in finding a restaurant, which is a shame because by the time we orgnanised ourselves after walking around a little, it was too late to eat (no chefs).

Things have progressed VERY quickly i.e. I saw her last weekend, and relations developed between us, so much so that she became my girlfriend (sounds a bit odd given that I'm clinging on to 36 and she's a few years older).

However, I still wish to take her out to a restaurant with a convivial atmosphere, intimate and romantic. It doesn't matter as such where the restaurant is because we can always get a taxi. So if anyone has any suggestions for a place they would be gratefully received!

abcdefg: she is an exact match against my criteria. There are a few complications, but nothing insurmountable. Now I have to update my CV and perform job / market research to see if there are any opportunities to work in Kunming so I don't have to return to London at the end of September.

Cheers!

That's great news. I'm glad for you.

However, I still wish to take her out to a restaurant with a convivial atmosphere, intimate and romantic. It doesn't matter as such where the restaurant is because we can always get a taxi. So if anyone has any suggestions for a place they would be gratefully received!

I know two places sort of along those lines that might be a fit. One is Thai, and that might also appeal to your ladyfriend as something of an adventure. It's named Moonlight Corner. It's near Green Lake and here is an English-Language link with photos:

http://www.moonlightcorner.com/en/

Taxi address in Chinese is 翠湖东路16号。Here's a Google map link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=%E4%BA%91%E5%8D%97%E6%98%86%E6%98%8E%E7%BF%A0%E6%B9%96%E4%B8%9C%E8%B7%AF16%E5%8F%B7

I went there once with a date and was pleased. Be sure the driver knows you don't want to go to the one out near Expo Garden because it's rather difficult to find.

The other one is Diana on Dongfeng Xi Lu across from the Yunnan Arts Theater. Here is their address:

Diana Buffet Restaurant

澳洲黛安娜红酒坊

87 Dongfeng Xi Lu (Entrance on Wacang Nan Lu), Kunming

昆明市东风西路87号(在瓦仓南路进门)

Phone: (0871) 3618777

They have a very pleasant buffet upstairs, but the downstairs part where you order from a menu is more quiet and romantic. It's expensive, and will set you back at least 100 RMB per person without wine. I've been there twice as a "splurge" and wasn't disappointed.

Edited by abcdefg
To correct a wrong address

Synchronicity! I walked past Moonlight Corner earlier today with a friend, en route to Prague Cafe and we both stopped to investigate because it looked extremely beautiful and romantic - plus we both like Thai food. I mentally made a note to ask here [Chinese-Forums] because I made an educated guess that you would know ;)

If you have recommended it, that's recommendation enough - I'll take her when she can schedule free time. Thank you - it is appreciated.

Is Diana's in the same building as Keats i.e. Guolian building?

Once again, appreciate your feedback.

Cheers!

Terribly sorry. I gave you the wrong address for Diana. It isn't in the same building as Keats.

Diana Buffet Restaurant

澳洲黛安娜红酒坊

87 Dongfeng Xi Lu (Entrance on Wacang Nan Lu), Kunming

昆明市东风西路87号(在瓦仓南路进门)

Phone: (0871) 3618777

They have an extensive collection of Australian wine, hence the slightly odd name of the establishment.

I'll go back and edit my previous post.

• 2 weeks later...

For my birthday weekend, I intended to take my girlfriend to Moonlight Corner. You've guessed it - a repeat of Thursday evening the week before last i.e. by the time we arrived at 21:30, the restaurant was closed in terms of eating. Same with 马帮饭店。

It's a little difficult to meet my girlfriend during evenings anytime before 20:00 (20:30 if she meets me where I live); thus most restaurants have closed for the evening. This has been a different experience for me compared to other bigger cities in China, not to mention completely contrary to London - especially at a weekend, where the idea of a restaurant closing at 21:30 is that restaurant going out of business.

We did manage to go for coffee and ice-cream, and then buy some cakes and lemon bread for take out from the Vintage Cafe in 文林街. A romantic evening 'in' rather than 'out'.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Ok folks! After extensive research re: my girlfriend showing me, I would like to provide you all with a valuable resource to enhance your Kunming experience: how to get from A to B in Kunming by bus! It's not as valuable as the 'OMFG! That meal disagreed with me and I'm 5 miles from home. I need a Western toilet NOW!' [tm] guide, but is more valuable than the Kunming Bus Guide booklet (1 yuan), that presupposes (1) you can read hanzi, and (2) actually know where the bloody stops are!

1. navigate your web-browser to www.baidu.com

2. select '地图' option above the 'search' bar (furthest option on the right)

3. a map of your location [Kunming] appears

4. underneath the 'search' bar, select '公交' tab

5. two search bars will appear connected by '到'

6. in the left hand search bar, type in your starting point

7. in the right hand search bar, type in your destiation

8. click the grey button to the right of the search bars marked '白度一下‘

9. your route inc. bus number(s) are visually displayed on Google maps with more detailed route info displayed on the right hand side

note: input is Chinese i.e. hanzi. So you either need to know hanzi, or at least the hanzi for your starting point and destination.

Remember: keep your valuables safe. Store them in a decent bag i.e. made of decent material (the type you hear if someone tried to cut it open with a knife), multiple zips (including zipped pockets / compartments inside), some plastic locks (that make a satisfyingly loud click if someone tries to open them), and most importantly, worn in FRONT of you - not on your shoulder, or on your back.

Near enough all of my teachers at my language school (inc. one of my Chinese language partners) has had their purse, mobile, etc stolen on a bus.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...