Chinese-Forums

Pros & Cons of Different Visa Types : Overview

JamesOI

I'm a realtive newbie to the complexities and variables in all this visa business. These forums have been incredibly helpful. I thought it might be helpful to have an overview of the benefits & problems of each type of visa. Perhaps this has been done before, but as the rules seeem to change frequently, maybe it's time for a new one.

This is apart from the questions of using an agent or which cities to go for renewal or the myriad tricks of the trade -- just the basics of the rules & restrictions to get a basis for comparison.

Here's what I was kind of imaging, based on my limited experience and understanding.

======

F VISA

Pros:

- 6-month duration without requiring you to leave China every 30 days

- Possible to get multiple entries

Cons:

- Visa is tied to the company/school that invitated you, so the employer and the employer's location may hinder you if renewing the visa elsewhere

- Not renewable unless you still have an employer

- Cannot go from an F visa to an L visa within China (ie, applying for an L when at the end of an F)

Notes:

- Does not technically give you permission to be employed. (I was a volunteer teacher, and thus not earning a salary, and was invited by my school for my F.)

======

(Neither pros or cons need be mutually exclusive. For example, a 6-month term can be a pro for both an F and an L visa, etc.)

Anyway, if y'all think it's helpful, for whatever and such.

Please add what you can!

Thanks,

James