Chinese-Forums

Sinica Chinese Podcast - Google China

trevelyan

Thought I'd drop word of a new show running at Popup Chinese called the Sinica podcast. This is a discussion on current affairs in China featuring interviews with prominent bloggers, historians, economists, political scientists, journalists, and more. The first week's episode is focused on Google in China and is hosted by Kaiser Kuo, with Jeremy Goldkorn and Bill Bishop as guests. Although these names should ring a bell for most long-time China hounds, for anyone else, Jeremy is a successful independent businessman in China and founder of danwei.org. Bill Bishop is the former founder of Marketwatch (sold to Dow Jones) and is heavily involved with a lot of new media companies in Beijing. You may know him through the blog digicha.com.

No-one pulls any punches in the discussion, and there are some details about the recent outages which I wasn't aware of and I'm guessing aren't really common knowledge. So it's enjoyable listen, and worth checking out for those interested in Internet and media development in China.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

The latest episode was a great interview with two interpreters, Lynette Shi and William White. I only wish Ms. Shi wasn't so reluctant to talk about her experiences during the Cultural Revolution. I always find this such a fascinating time, but so few people seem willing/able to speak openly about it. The way her family returned to China just as the whole episode was kicking off, she must have some stories to tell!

From the Interpreter's Booth

• Like 1