Chinese-Forums

From studying to traveling, visa change needed?

madison

Hi everyone,

I just had a few questions about the visa:

I am going to study in China this summer for 1 month. The university I applied to sent me the papers so that i can apply for an F-visa. Will this visa be good only for the duration of my studies?

Because I was planning to travel a few weeks after, so does that means I would have to get a tourist-visa after my month of study? if yes, is if better to get it before going to China, or to wait and get it once im in China?

Also, im still hesitating on whether I want to travel or volunteer during the few weeks that I have free. Does volunteering requires another type of visa??

Thank you!

Since you will only study for a month and only travel or volunteer for a few weeks, the easiest thing is probably to just get a tourist visa for the entire time before you leave home. I don't know where you are from, but that solution works well enough for holders of US passports.

Just write on your visa application form that your purpose for travel is tourism and your intended stay 90 days. Don't give the consulate any F visa documents. That way you can stay in China for your one month course and then have two months left to do whatever you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for your answers, but if I apply only for a tourist visa, do you think the university will check what type of visa I have and do they care if I dont have the right one, can they prevent me from registering to study? Sorry if I sound paranoid lol but im really afraid of being caught for not having the right documents.. lol

btw im from canada if it matters