Chinese-Forums

Requirements to get student visa

ejunan

Hello.

My family plan to move to China & live there for a while, specifically in Shanghai. But before I request a job transfer from my company, I want to try living there for a few months to see how I like it. One way I could think of to accomplish that is to get a student visa. Do I need to be a full time student to get a student visa?

Does anyone have alternative suggestions? I've considered getting L visa & just travel to HK every month. But that could get expensive since I would have to fly 4 family members every month.

Thanks.

You may well be able to get a 60 or 90 day L visa. If not, a 30 day L visa should be extendable twice, for 30 days each time, in Shanghai - shouldn't be any need to fly to HK every month.

What visa you actually get is hard to predict, but it's worth applying and seeing what happens. For a student visa you'll likely need to pay tuition fees for at least a semester.

Thanks Roddy.

According to my local consulate, I can request a 1 year multi-entry L visa. Does that allow me to remain in China for 1 year without leaving? I was under the impression that I could stay no longer than 30 days per entry using L visa.

Assuming that I need student visa, will the school issue the necessary paperwork if I only register for 1 class?

Thanks.

Depends what the visa says - if the consulate is replying to queries (which consulate is this, most don't pick up the phone) then ask them if you can have a single entry 90 day visa, or a 90 day stay restriction on the 1-year visa, etc.

This is the consulate in San Francisco. I found more information on the embassy's website. There's a question in the application form that asks how long I intend of stay in China. If I can stay 90 days or longer, then I don't need the student visa anymore. Thanks Roddy.