Chinese-Forums

V...住了

Leikuzi

I think there are many of these verbs that put (zhu) after it to portray a positive or affirmative completion of the verb...right now all I can think of is 记住 ji'zhu ...remember and 站住 zhan'zhu..to stand..

Can anyone think of other verbs that are accompanied by this "zhu"? and is there any commonality shared between them. I just want to know when to use it and when not to. I know its not that common, but I'm sure there's at least a few more. THANKS. if you don't know or aren't sure, please preface accordingly.

• 2 months later...

I think this is the correct place, but I've come across a couple of 住 verb complements in a recent exercise. The first is: 燕子! 我心中像触电一样的呆住了. Here, I understand the 住 to complement the 呆 and remain static on the wire pole. However, with 父亲忽然叫住我, how can the father shout in a 'static' or 'stable' manner? Does the 住 mean something else, or does it mean the shout goes on for so long it becomes 'stable'?

In the same exercise, the woman is quite saddened when a 燕子 is called a 乌秋 by her friends. I can't seem to find this in my dictionary though. Perhaps it's rather unusual.

Nciku also lists "firmly" as a possible interpretation when using 住 after a verb. However, one of their examples is "hold firmly" so that doesn't seem to apply here at first glance. But "firmly" as in seriously, no joking around, "this minute",etc. might work (if that's also what this interpretation implies).

I've come across a couple of 住 verb complements in a recent exercise. The first is: 燕子! 我心中像触电一样的呆住了. Here, I understand the 住 to complement the 呆 and remain static on the wire pole. However, with 父亲忽然叫住我, how can the father shout in a 'static' or 'stable' manner? Does the 住 mean something else, or does it mean the shout goes on for so long it becomes 'stable'?

住 implies that something that has a tendency to move is brought to a standstill.

For example:

你给我站住! Stop!/Stand still!

我的喉咙被鱼刺卡住了 I've got a fish bone stuck in my throat

As for your sentence, I don't know where the wire pole comes from, but 呆住 means something like "dumbstruck", as though having be electrocuted/struck by lightning.

And in 父亲忽然叫住我, 住 refers to 我. Father shouted to me to stop.

So are you saying that 问住 is incorrect, or that it means something else?

I see. Well there are plenty of examples of its use, if you care to do a Google search.