Chinese-Forums

泥人张 Zhang Clay Figurines

Meng Lelan

Posting this under art although I don't really know where to put this. Going to China this July and want to know where to buy Zhang Clay Figurines. I don't think I'm going to make it to Tianjin this time around though. Advice anyone?

I‘ve replied but that was when my account was inactive,

Nirenzhang is Tianjin's local figure and I don't think you can buy original one anywhere out of Tianjin. I suggest buy one on internet through your Chinese friend.

First I want to know how much they cost before I ask someone I know who comes from Tianjin.

I searched the information on Chinese websites, the price of the clay culptures varies from 10 CNY to several thousand CNY due to quality.

The cheap ones are cast in molds, tons of same ones are being produced every day, so they are cheap and in fact worthless. Those expensive ones are handworks made by craftmen, the higher level, better reputation a craftman has, the more costly his work will be. The best craftman's work may be priceless.

This price machanism is not only for Nirenzhang, it is also applied to many other Chinese handcrafts, such as Zishahu(紫砂壶), Jingdezhen china(景德镇瓷器). I remember I once bought a set of Zishahu in Wuxi, which cost me roughly 2000 CNY, it was top level, excellent quality. So if your budget is over 2000 CNY, I think you can get a really good one, and also its value will increase as the time goes on(especially when the craftman is dead).:)